Chapter 1. Returned

Wayzz's POV

I don't know about you, but being a Kwami means that a large portion of my free time has to be dedicated into rifling through old and new newspapers, trying to sense the next era of heroes. 

So as usual, I was walking—in human form, not a lot of people appreciate it when a flying turtle floats by—with a rumpled newspaper in my hand when my phone vibrated. 

I know it's weird for Kwamis to be carrying around phones but mine was especially made, self fixing and conducting. It was a present from some friend named Hephaestus, I think. I once told him that he's a myth and he told me so was I. 

The messages was very short: 

Master Fu: sub ttt

Like those three letters could mean that the world could be ending or that there's a 50% sale on the clothes shop down the street. With Master Fu, you never know what it means. 

Shoving the phone in my pocket, clutching the rumpled newspaper, I jogged down the street and rushed into the sanctuary. 

Master Fu seemed to be talking to thin air. 

"Now, now, you should know. You volunteered to take it," he was explaining, waving his hand. 

At first, I didn't see who he was talking to. Then I saw a section of the air wavering into holographic colors and finally a slim figure stepping out of it casually. 

I blinked. 

"What the plague." 

"Stop giving me that look, Wayzz." 

I literally jumped, almost knocked off half of the contents on the shelf, and stumbled into the corner of the stuffy room, holding out my newspaper roll like a knife. "In case you didn't notice, you still have precisely another century to spend in that necklace." 

"I know," Trixx rolled her eyes. 

She looked the same as I remembered her; blazing purple eyes, straight orange hair that glinted in the sunlight with inky tips all pulled into two messy pigtails. 

"Master Fu!" I protested. "You didn't just let her out, did you?" 

Master Fu looked tired. "Uh, I've been explaining to you Trixx, you owned up to that and you have to take responsibility." 

Trixx put both hands on her hips, her violet eyes glaring right through me. "I wouldn't have taken it in the first place if some stupid Kwami didn't make things complicated." 

I crossed my arms. "Oh? Let me remind you, I was making things easier for both of us."