Never alone in a dark room

"I-I don't think that's a good idea, Norma." Alex started, sadness and vulnerability in her face breaking his heart.

"It's just..." her voice broke, "I just don't have anyone else to ask..."

"Any other family members? Friends?" he questioned in a calm voice.

She looked at him, her teary eyes silently pleading for a second, then her face expression suddenly changing.

"You know what, nevermind." she raised from the sofa, one hand drying out the tears from her eyes. "Maybe he won't come back, you know. I'll just stay here. And I have a gun to defend myself." she said in a strict voice, turning away from him.

"You have a gun?!" he raised his voice in surprise. "Since when, Norma?"

"Since that scumbag Abernathy tried to kill me?" she scoffed, "And I'm not going to explain myself to you now, Alex."

There were in silence for a few minutes, Norma's back turned to Alex who was still sitting on the couch.

"Okay." he finally whispered with a sigh.

"Okay what?" she turned her head at him, frowning.

"Okay, yes, you can stay at my place till we trace this guy." he said in calm tone, seeing her face turn from confusion to honest surprise.

"Oh- ooh.." she breathed out placing one hand on her heart, still quite stunned by his words but eyes now shining, "Alex, are you sure? I mean, I'm not gonna bother you or anything and you now I can still..."

"What I'm sure about is that this house is not safe for you to stay in for now. " he cut her off, standing up. "So just go pack yourself some... stuff, and we are leaving. It's like 2am already."

"Like, right now?" she asked raising her brows at Alex.

"Yes, right now, Norma." he stated in a slightly annoyed voice, "I'll be waiting for you down here."

"Ok, ok, ok." she whispered in a hurried voice waving her hands in the air, running upstairs.

She quickly got her traveling bag from under the bed tossing in a few clothes from her closet, running to the bathroom to take her toothbrush, face wash and a few other things. Norma zipped the bag heading towards the door when she realised that she's still wearing her robe.

"Shit." she hissed walking back to her closet, opening it up to find something to wear. Simple black pants and a baby blue blouse looked like an option so she quickly changed, putting the robe in the bag and now finally leaving her bedroom.

When she went down the stairs, Alex was pacing next to the door.

"You ready?" he asked, opening the door for her.

"Yes, we can go." she answered, tensing at the feeling of his hand at the small of her back, leading her through the door.

Norma stopped, putting the bag on the ground to find the keys and lock the door. When she was done, she saw Alex picking up the bag to carry it for her.

"Oh, thanks." she smiled walking next to him.

It took 10 minutes to get to Alex place, ground humps around the house telling about the recent building process. He parked his SUV on the street, turning off the engine, both of them getting out of the car. He took her bag, carrying it to the door, unlocking it and welcoming Norma inside.

She slowly walked inside the dark dark house, stumbling on something in the dark.

"Ouch!" she exclaimed, light turning on for her to see it was a box.