Year 1// Home

(1916 words)

It had been three days since the whole 'Philosopher's Stone' fiasco. Somehow, everyone knew what happened under the trapdoor whilst you, Ron, Harry and Hermione attempted to save the day. And guess what? Harry did save the day. Turned out that it was Quirrell, not Snape, who was after the Stone for Voldemort — something to do with eternal life.

Good thing Harry stopped him.

Hermione rushed up to you whilst you were eating breakfast at the Hufflepuff table. "Harry's awake!" You jumped from your seat and crashed to the ground in a rather graceful fashion, but the grin plastered on your face wouldn't go for a while.

"C'mon, let's go!" Hermione said, pulling your hand. You met Ron by the doors of the Great Hall, and the three of you ran to the infirmary.

*

"Please, Madam Pomfrey, we saw you let Professor Dumbledore in!" Hermione pled.

"That was the headmaster, quite different." she replied.

"Please!" You and Ron begged.

"Oh, very well then," she sighed. "But five minutes only."

You grinned widely as she opened the door for the three of you.

"Harry!"

Hermione looked ready to fling her arms around him again, but she didn't since Harry's head looked a little sore.

"Oh, Harry, we were sure you were going to — Dumbledore was so worried —"

"The whole school's talking about it," said Ron. "What really happened?"

It was one of those rare occasions when the true story is even more strange and exciting than the wild rumors. Harry told you everything: Quirrell; the mirror; the stone; and Voldemort. You were a good audience, gasping  in all the right places, and when Harry told you  what was under Quirrell's turban, Hermione screamed out loud.

"So the Stone's gone?" said Ron finally. "Flamel's just going to die?"

"That's what I said, but Dumbledore thinks that — what was it? — 'to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.'"

"I always said he was off his rocker," said Ron, looking quite impressed at how crazy his hero was.

"So what happened to you?" asked Harry.

"Well, Ron was out the whole time, but I took him to the infirmary — that took a while —" you started, purposely missing out the part where Malfoy helped.

"I got back all right," Hermione said. "So I dashed to the Owlery to contact Dumbledore when I met him in the entrance hall — he already knew — he just said, 'Harry's gone after him, hasn't he?' and hurtled off to the third floor."

"D'you think he meant you to do it?" said Ron. "Sending you your father's cloak and everything?"

"Well, " Hermione exploded, "if he did — I mean to say that's terrible — you could have been killed."

"No, it isn't," said Harry thoughtfully. "He's a funny man, Dumbledore. I think he sort of wanted to give me a chance. I think he knows more or less everything that goes on here, you know. I reckon he had a pretty good idea we were going to try, and instead of stopping us, he just taught us enough to help. I don't think it was an accident he let me find out how the mirror worked. It's almost like he thought I had the right to face Voldemort if I could..."

"Yeah, Dumbledore's off his rocker, all right," said Ron proudly. "Listen, you've got to be up for the end-of-year feast tomorrow. The points are all in and Slytherin won, of course — you missed the last Quidditch match, we were steamrollered by Ravenclaw without you — but the food'll be good."