Year 2// Normal

(1874 words)

Several weeks passed, and apparently the reason why Hermione didn't join you to investigate Draco was because she'd used Millicent Bulstrode's cat's hair, resulting in some nasty side-effects. You also apologised to the trio about threatening them, and they apologised to you for not believing you about Draco. Draco had also returned to insulting you, but he seemed to avoid calling you a mudblood, which was nice. Everything was basically back to normal, except Ernie.

You tried speaking to him but he never responded. And what was worse, he seemed to have turned Hannah and Susan on his side completely, so they didn't talk to you much either. Thankfully, it wasn't all too bad: the Quidditch team still hung out with you when you were bored and you still occasionally pulled pranks with Fred and George, so you never truly felt lonely.

Nonetheless, walking through the corridors filled you with a sense of dread. You were a Muggleborn, so you were in obvious danger. Your hand would instinctively reach for the necklace that supposedly warded off evil, hoping nothing bad happened to you. There had been no attacks since the one on Justin and Nearly Headless Nick, but the school's atmosphere wasn't a positive one.

Meanwhile, Professor Lockhart took upon the task of boosting the morale of the students himself. His idea of a morale-booster became clear at breakfast time on February fourteenth. You hadn't had much sleep because of a late-running Quidditch practice the night before, and you hurried to the Great Hall, slightly late.

For a minute you thought you'd gone to the wrong room.

The walls were all covered with large, lurid pink flowers. Worse still, heart-shaped confetti was falling from the pale blue ceiling. You went over to the Hufflepuff table and sat next to Oliver and Maxine. When you arrived Maxine nudged Oliver in the side.

He grinned at you nervously.

"What's going on?" You asked them, sitting down and wiping confetti off your breakfast. Oliver glanced at you and pointed to the teachers' table with a mouthful of toast.

Lockhart, wearing pink robes to match the decorations, was waving for silence. The teachers on either side of him were looking stony-faced. From where you sat, you could see a vein popping out of Professor McGonagall's forehead. Snape looked as though someone had just fed him a large beaker of Skele-Gro.

"Happy Valentine's Day!" Lockhart shouted. "And may I thank the forty-six people who have so far sent me cards! Yes, I have taken the liberty of arranging this little surprise for you all — and it doesn't end here!"

Lockhart clapped his hands and through the doors to the entrance hall marched a dozen surly- looking dwarfs. Not just any dwarfs, however. Lockhart had them all wearing golden wings and carrying harps.

"My friendly, card-carrying cupids!" beamed Lockhart. "They will be roving around the school today delivering your valentines! And the fun doesn't stop here! I'm sure my colleagues will want to enter into the spirit of the occasion! Why not ask Professor Snape to show you how to whip up a Love Potion! And while you're at it, Professor Flitwick knows more about Entrancing Enchantments than any wizard I've ever met, the sly old dog!"

Professor Flitwick buried his face in his hands. Snape was looking as though the first person to ask him for a Love Potion would be force-fed poison.

"Oh my god." You said, exasperated at Lockhart's antics. Some of the Hufflepuff girls were swooning over Lockhart and how kind he was to organise this, making you want to throw up the food you just ate.

All day long, the dwarfs kept barging into their classes to deliver valentines, to the annoyance of the teachers, and late that afternoon as the Hufflepuffs were walking downstairs for History of Magic, one of the dwarfs caught up with you.