Year 2// The Threat

(1780 words)

You had spent most of the rainy weekend in your common room, relaxing and recovering. Your Hufflepuff friends only talked about Gryffindor's epic win against Slytherin, and how they were in the lead for the House Cup this year because of Harry (he scored them 50 points).

Hermione had popped by on Sunday, checking to see if you were doing alright. She also broke the news that Colin Creevey, a first year Gryffindor, had been petrified. This scared you because you vaguely knew him. He was the first student to be petrified, and you had an gnawing feeling in your stomach that he wouldn't be the last.

"Do you know who might have done it?" You asked carefully. You still wanted to know about her suspicions on Malfoy and about the potions that she, Harry and Ron were brewing.

Hermione simply shook her head. "No one knows. I've got some suspicions but I'll be sure in a few months —"

"Who do you suspect?" You asked, raising an eyebrow.

Hermione looked around the Hufflepuff common room to ensure she wasn't heard. "I think it could be a Slytherin." She said in a hushed voice.

You stared at her for a moment to feign surprise, before speaking up. "Slytherin? You think of them too highly. As evil as they may seem, they're really not a house of killers, and I bet you suspect Malfoy —"

"Didn't you hear what Malfoy said when Mrs Norris got petrified? 'You'll be next, mudbloods!' Of course he's got something to do with it! And the Chamber of Secrets was made by Salazar Slytherin, and he hated muggleborns too!" Hermione reasoned.

"Hermione, I think you're looking in the wrong direction. Malfoy isn't as bad as he seems; he helped me back here after I fell over. I think he's just got some...some pride issues! Because of his family —"

Hermione rolled her eyes and laughed. "Do you hear yourself? You're defending a bully! He's been nothing but nasty to us! Just because he was nice once doesn't mean you fall head-over-heels for him, (Y/N)."

"Listen, I'm not falling 'head-over-heels' for him! I'm just thinking objectively —"

Hermione scoffed.

You looked at her, realising there was no way she'd believe you, unless you proved Draco was innocent. Just then you had an idea.

"You're making a potion, aren't you?" You asked her, raising an eyebrow.

"Wha-no-h-how do you know?" She spluttered in shock.

"I heard you guys talking in the girls' toilets. I don't know what it is, but if it's supposed to prove Malfoy is guilty, then I want some too, to prove he's innocent."

"I can't —" Hermione started.

"If you don't give me some, I will tell Snape you've been stealing from his cupboards. No doubt you'll be expelled —" you threatened her.

"Fine!" Hermione said, her face contorting into that of horror. She looked at you and frowned. "I thought you were my friend, (Y/n). You're playing a risky game. If I'm right, then you'll be in serious danger."

"I am your friend. Plus if I'm right, then I'll be just fine." You smirked, satisfied that your threat worked. Not that you would've actually told Snape, but Hermione couldn't even stand the fear of that, let alone being expelled. Hermione was a close friend, so you hated going head-to-head with her like this, but you had to make the trio see as soon as possible that they were wrong.