;Our Hearts are Wild Creatures;

"Kara.. What a familiar name.." I mumbled. I believe I may have seen her once before, but, this time it seemed different.

"R-really? Fa-familar? I- no. Probably not.." Jess said.

"No.. No. I'm sure I've heard this name before.. Well, I guess we'll find out when she comes, right?" I replied, slightly chuckling. She could tell I was off somewhere else, my eyes held that distant gaze again, I'm sure of it.

"Yes, right."  She fidgeted with her clipboard.

"Jess, you seem nervous." I observed.

"N-no. Not at all."

She never usually stuttered around me..

And there was that familiarity again. Stutter.. I knew someone who used to stutter all the time.. I remember finding it terribly adorable..

Kara..

Why these two seemed to connect, I'm not sure. But somewhere in my mind, they clicked together sending a jolt of electricity through me. Another familiarity. That one name, sent shivers down my spine.

"You can go." I wasn't offering, I was telling her. She was hiding something about this 'Kara' woman, and I didn't like it.

"Yes, Ms. Luthor." She mumbled before scurrying out of the door.

"Piss off.." I muttered.

Jess and I, never had the best relationship. Not since my accident.

I opened the bottom drawer of my desk and pulled out a bottle of red wine, as well as a glass, and poured myself a generous amount.

Bitter. I have been bitter ever since then. I can't explain why but, I've always felt rather empty. The memories of everything, are so foggy and blurred all I can remember is.. For some odd reason, falling from the sky, but never hitting the pavement. I took a sip.

I remember flashes of blonde hair, and glasses framing gorgeous blue eyes. The name 'Kara' assigned itself to that memory.

Again, that dreadful familiarity send shockwaves all through me, making my heart beat rapidly and my mind go fuzzy.

I stared blankly ahead.

"Please... Please wake up.."

I can hear her voice but I can't see her. All I see is bright, blinding white lights. Everything is blurry.

"Mph.." I tried to say her name. I can't. I can't move, can't see her, can't speak.

"Ms. Danvers, you need to leave." A cool voice dripping with malice said, I recognized it as none other than my so called mother, Lillian.

"You did this! You are the reason for this! How can you stand to see her in this condition and not give a single damn! She is your daughter!" The voice screamed. Her tone was so angry and hurt and scared. I felt my heart break in that moment.

"Daughter?" She scoffed. "That, that is no daughter of mine."

I heard a slap. Surely, and thankfully, whomever that was, slapped the bull out of the old woman. About time. I heard departing footsteps.

"Lena, I- I am so sorry I couldn't save you in time.. I should've been faster, I should've never left your office earlier, I should've never.. I should've been there... She threw you off.. I should've been there.. I almost caught you, but you still hit the ground.. Maybe not from as high, maybe not as hard.. B-but hard enough that that.. That you're in this condition.. And.. Lena, I know we aren't together and I know you probably don't feel the same way but.. I like you," she started sniffling and I could hear soft sobs coming from her. "I like you, a lot. You mean so much to me. Like, I would fly all the way back into space, just to get you a star. I would give up potstickers and puppies and my powers for you. I would die for you.. But more than that, I'd live for you. I'd live through every painful moment life has to offer, through every devastating day, through every perfect day. I'd walk miles, through kryptonite covered walls with bullets racing past me and grazing my skin leaving scars, for days, even if it meant I could only see you for a few seconds. I just.. I can't lose you.. And I know I should've told you sooner. I just.. I couldn't.. I couldn't stand to see you get hurt.. And by not telling you, I let that happen anyways.."