six

(veronica lodge thinking about her ex boyfriend)

zara shahid

'i can put on a show, don't you see what your finding, this is heaven in hiding'

I was sitting with Archie in lunch, munching on an apple, while he worked on his music. I was sitting on top of the table, looking down at my brother.

"Does this lyric make sense?" He asked me and I looked over to check his sheet. C'mon turn the radio on and darling we'll dance.

"How about honey instead of darling?" I asked and he nodded. "For the rest of the night, I'm not ready to go." I sang the last part and Archie smiled up at me.

"I'm stealing those lyrics." He grinned at me.

"Do what you'd like." I gave him the sheet and he wrote down the lyrics.I threw my apple onto the ground, where it would become fertilizer and opened my backpack and took out the briyani I made yesterday. I knew that it took so long to make, so why not make it on a Sunday? "You want some?"

Archie nodded greedily and I pulled out the extra spoon I'd brought for him. I moved down on to the lower bench and we ate from the box, Archie writing lyrics while I went through my Instagram.

"Anyway, it's terrible to say, but part of me wishes he would just stay in the darn closet." Kevin appeared out of nowhere and I glanced at Archie, with wide eyes, "Obviously, I didn't mean literal closet."

"Archie!" Veronica sat down opposite to me, "Any new material you wanna try out on a very forgiving audience?"

"Urgh, I." Archie started.

"Please?" Veronica sent him pleading eyes.

"Would you? I'd love to hear it." Betty smiled and sat down, with Kevin in between the two girls.

"I'm still working on the lyrics, so."

"You mean I'm writing your lyrics." I coughed and he glared at me.

"Okay." Archie strummed the guitar and started to sing the lyrics we'd just written, "Come on, turn the radio on And, honey we'll dance, dance, dance For the rest of the night, I'm not ready to go." Kevin and Veronica clapped for him but Betty just looked down at her lap.

"Betty? You okay?" Archie asked the girl in a coloured pink sweater.

"I'm supposed to say, yes.  That's what the nice girl always says, but no, I'm not. I want to be. I thought I could be. But it's too much, too fast, Archie" She got up and walked away.