Strawberry

sweet 1

- strawberry -

Silenced herself,

Counted the stars.

Kept making a wish on passing cars.

A habit she developed long ago.

A habit that stayed until not long ago.

"Craving for something new to happen" - is what would be running through the minds of most  people in a more... normal state of affairs. The unusual way of seeing the world would someday subside. However, it was not such a big matter. To her at least. The way the world revolved around her and only her, she found it relaxing. Or more specifically, peaceful. 

If no one approached her, she would not speak. That golden rule had engraved itself deep inside her head, staying there for the majority of her life. Even so, she was brought up to be a polite child. One that answered when being called and addressed her elders formally. 

The only flaw that was present in her situation would be her inability to continue a conversation. It was something that had weighed her down greatly. And yet, She did not act on it. 

"Nothing has changed and nothing will" - If there was no one to talk to, there was no need for such a skill. It was... useless.

Being keen on finishing up her day at work was something she had never felt. Because the cafe that she worked at was not well known, it did not require her to engage in much socialising. Don't get her wrong, she was a rather hardworking person. It was just that she preferred to sit down and read a book rather than go out and find some company. 

"(name)-ah, Your shift is almost over, Why don't you take a break for lunch?"

Her boss, as someone who shared the same interests as her, had always understood her reasons. Often she would find herself reading together with him a book he had recommended or just enjoying the comfortable silence that came with it. 

Seeing another customer walk in, she waved at her boss. Which, he took it as she would take her break after finishing up with the last few orders. Setting a cup down, she walked to the counter and gestured for the man in front of her to place his order. 

"Jin"

If there was one thing going on in her head it would be confusion. It was only after she took his order then he said his name. Although it was not necessary for him to give his name, it peaked her curiosity, which, rarely happened. And so, to satisfy her need to know, she asked.

was it not right of him to give her his name? Or did she recognise him? It was hard to tell who he was. he had made sure to take extra precaution when he went out that day. So, what was happening?

"Isn't that what you do at cafes? You give them your name." 

This caused a small smile to be etched onto her face, Slowly turning into light giggling. Has he not been to a cafe here before? The street that they were in was not a very crowded street, so business was slow. Sure there were cafes that do need your name, but looking at the state of this cafe, it wouldn't be hard to tell who had ordered. Nonetheless, she nodded towards him and continued with his order.

It left him thinking he had embarrassed himself in front of her. All the cafes that he had been to asked for his name. Why had this one not? The only reason that he could think off would be because the cafes he had been to were more crowded. But sometimes, he would find himself sitting with his friends in a quiet and small cafe.

To her, she usually only had long conversations like these with her boss and occasionally with teachers. But after graduation, she seemed to talk less to people. She often wondered how she got a job at a cafe. A job that needed so much socialising and yet, she could still hold up her end of the bargain with no trouble, none at all. 

Coming across someone like, Jin, was a once in a life time thing. Well, at least for her. As it was stated, she doesn't usually take her time to talk to the customers. And the customers wouldn't take their time too. 

Jin, however, was a different case. He was a friendly guy through and through. always trying to make friends and always polite. He had tried to start a conversation with her but every time he did, she would only nod. No words left her mouth. And for some reason that pushed into trying to start a conversation with her. 

On his ninth attempt, she finally said something.

"Jin, seven coffees to go."

(Name) decided to play along. Calling his name, she turned to him and handed him a card along with the drinks before bowing and excusing herself. Faster than you can say coffee, she was back to reading her book that she waited oh so long since yesterday to continue. How could you blame her? It left off on a cliffhanger. 

Jin was amused at the way the things worked in this cafe. As the oldest, he had gone out to find a place tat would be safe for the others to enjoy a cup of coffee. Maybe this was the exact place he was looking for. 

Taking a sip from one of the cups in his hand, he had noticed something inside it. There was a tinge of strawberry. the taste of the fruit that he loved so much. He recalled her questioning him about what blood type he was. And, being the kind of person he is, he answered. 

Blood type O's digestive track needs the balance of alkaline to reduce the possibility of ulcers and irritation in the stomach lining. Red, blue and purple fruits tend to do exactly that. 

So she was considerate enough to do that. It was weird, the way she asked for his blood type. But he still found it nice to have someone care for him. someone he had only just met. 

From this, he could make out she was exceptionally smart. Maybe they were on the same level although she look younger. He thanked her once and left the shop, quickly scurrying to get home.

She smiled. Today was interesting. Not much had happened to her, but it was the most colourful thing that happened to her in years.

Time and time again, she continued on with that habit of hers. Well, until she finds something interesting yet again.