2

❝the ground hardens after the rain.❞

C H A P T E R   T W O

"And why should I help you?" He asked taking a threatening step towards her but she stood her ground. "Because if you help me, I'll help you."

Niklaus frowned as he looked at the girl. "I don't need help." She smirked surprising him, "You'll need help. My help."

"In what do I need your help with?" He asked as the girl shrugged, smiling at him. He was curious to why she isn't scared, clearly she knew who he is.

"My brother.. is one of a kind. He's hunting me... and you." She said to him placing her hands on his shoulders. "Truthfully, I don't even know what he is.. He is something we haven't ever faced before."

Niklaus narrowed his eyes at her looking at her hands briefly. "Who is your brother?"

"Reese Young."

● ● ●

"I must say this place looks better on the inside." Veronica said, as she traced the railing. She was scared of her brother but the thing that scared her the most was reuniting with him. Ever since he almost killed her, she had kept running away from the Mikaelson's. Of course only one of the siblings knew who she is, but Veronica couldn't trust any of them. Until now.

"Where are your infamous siblings?" She asked strutting up the stairs meeting Niklaus' smirk.

"Coming back soon." He said pouring some whiskey into two glasses. "Can I now know your name love? I didn't know Reese has a sister." He asked as he held a glass towards her which she gladly took.

She trailed his arm with her fingers as she looked up at him. "Veronica." She said walking away from him as she drank the whiskey shot. Niklaus looked at her retreating figure. The two had made a deal, he would protect her and she'd do the same. Niklaus had heard of him, Reese Young. How ruthless he is, that he had no doubt of killing anyone, even when the victim was innocent.

But what he didn't understand why Reese would hunt down him. Niklaus has never encountered him before.

"What did you do to have your own brother trying to kill you?" Niklaus asked placing the glass on the table as Veronica turned around. "Porodica je sve što imate." She stated as Niklaus frowned.

Veronica noticed his confusion and she decided to continue. "It means Family is all we have. That we cannot turn against our family, and I did that." She looked at him with no emotion or what so ever on his face.

"I have betrayed my siblings many times." He said walking closer to her. Veronica looked at the man, she couldn't believe this. She had heard the rumours of the original hybrid. That he doesn't hesitate. He doesn't hesitate to kill anyone.

She immediately frowned, hearing footsteps as she looked down from the porch. Her breath hitched, a lump forming on her throath that she couldn't seem to be able to swallow.

The man looked up, rolling his sleeves as he kept staring at the girl. Veronica would've expected a hello, or even a smile but the words he said next hurt her.

"Dug your way up from the grave? Very classy, I must say." He said as he kept looking at her, straightening his suit.

"Elijah." She said with such venom in her voice and Niklaus noticed it. "Always a pleasure." She spat as she placed her glass on the railing.

"Not exactly always." Elijah said as he yet did not share a look with his brother.

"I'm sorry to disappoint you Elijah, but I'm not here to see you." She said, looking at Klaus. "I'm here to see your brother."

Elijah's eyes flickered towards his brother who was beyond confused. "Care to elaborate, brother?" Niklaus said looking down at him.

"Not really." He said as Niklaus looked at Veronica who simply let out a bitter laugh. She couldn't believe this, after many years the man was still bitter and furious towards her for something she didn't commit.

"You always seem to amaze me Elijah." She said scoffing at him. She sped down in front of him as Niklaus smiled at the two from the balcony, clearly amused.

Elijah looked into her hazel eyes, and he saw all the sorrow and pain she'd been through. "What is it that you so desperately seek?"

Veronica did the same she did to Klaus, pinning Elijah against the wall by his throath. Niklaus hummed still smiling. He knew that the girl couldn't do any damage to his brother.

"Not you for sure." Veronica said as she pursed her lips, looking at her hand. She quickly let go, stepping back a bit. Elijah scoffed, straightening his navy suit once more.

"You clearly want something. Or else you wouldn't have come Veronica." He said to her as she held her ground. She wasn't going to back away, not anymore.

"I already got what I want," She said smirking at him as she looked up at Niklaus.

"Your brother."