14

❝hunting things, the family business❞

F L A S H B A C K   C H A P T E R[CHICAGO,1954]

[CHICAGO,
1954]

"Reese? Honey I'm home!" A girl, rather a woman yelled as she sighed in relief when she didn't hear an answer. It was her boyfriend's birthday and she wanted to make somethig special to him. The woman, Alice Wehndall, knew what exactly her boyfriend is. And she didn't care, she loved him and he loves her and that's all that matters.

Alice, a beautiful brunette with short wavy hair, bright blue eyes was every mans dream girl. Even Reese wondered how he caught her attention. She was perfect to him and he was perfect to her.

As Alice started cooking Reese's favorite food, she heard a noise. She walked to the long hallway in their house as she looked at each end. "Reese?" She didn't hear anything, but she shrugged it off. Until not even a minute later she heard the same noise. Alike to footsteps, long strides and heavy boots.

It was starting to creep her out but she still shrugged it off. Alice knew that getting to know Reese would involve dangers lurking around the corners. But all she wanted was him, so she didn't mind.

Once more she heard the footsteps now clearly as she grabbed a knife from the kitchen counter. Holding it tightly she stepped out of the kitchen to the long hallway. Alice sometimes wondered why Reese wanted to move into a large house, with one extra room.

"Hello..?" She said quietly as it came out of her mouth as a question and a whimper. Alice was scared, and she should be. Someone could be in her house right now.

She chuckled lightly as she realised no one was there. But when she turned around there the person was. Alice knew the intruder was a vampire as he sped to her, easily tearing through her flesh as he grabbed her beating heart. "Bye bye, little Alice." With that the man teared her heart as the girl fell to the floor, completely lifeless as her heart layed beside her.

The man however stood completely frozen. As the man vampire fell to the floor lifeless as well, someone was revealed behind him. A brunette girl, Veronica Young held a heart in her hands as she threw it away quickly walking to Alice.

Veronica stared at her corpse, as she cried. Alice was like a sister to Veronica, Veronica loved her so much. Veronica shook her body but her hope disappeared when she saw the heart beside Alice. She yelled in pain as she looked at the heart. There was no saving Alice Wehndall. There was no saving Veronica's brother true love. And Veronica yelled once more as she heard a click. Someone had opened the door to the apartment.

Veronica couldn't help but to assume the worst. Maybe another vampire, coming to see if the job was done. With bloody hands Veronica fled away from the house, leaving Alice's body laying on the living room floor.

As someone stepped into the apartment, he immediately smelled it. Blood, lots of blood.

And little did Veronica know, that's when her hell started. That was the beginning of the rest of her life. Just because she ripped the attackers heart, Reese thought in his own despair, he thought, that his own sister had killed Alice Wehndall.

That day was the beginning of Reese's hunt. And the beginning of Veronica's escape.