Chapter Fourteen: Choices: Danny

Chapter Fourteen: Danny

Over the next few days, I began to give my teaching job more thought. The prospect of it was inviting, of course. It would give me something to do, something to exercise my muscles, and a big chance to learn things from the students just as well as they could learn from me.

But I couldn’t leave Angeline by herself.

Right now, our only option was for me to stay with her, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. Angeline didn’t like the doctors. Kendall wasn’t in the position, and obviously it was pointless for one of the residents to watch her. And she just kept clinging to me, stressed and brought down by her secret that she was too ashamed to speak of.

One evening, I brought it up while Ang was finishing dinner and I was watching her. “Hey, Ang do you really think I should do the teaching job?”

“Go,” she snapped suddenly, green eyes even more inhumanly bright than usual. “I don’t care what you do.”

I tried to make my voice carefree, but I didn’t know what got her in a twist so suddenly. “What got under your skin?”

“Absolutely nothing, Daniel! Go, do that thing you keep talking about – I don’t care, I’m not in charge of you.”

She ate the last bite of her salad and tossed the plate on the table beside her that sucked into the wall and transported the plate to the kitchen’s dishwasher. “Really? You don’t care?” I quipped back, irritated.

“I don’t,” Angeline retorted, looking at me and crossing her arms. Her stomach was slowly growing. “I’ll be fine by myself.”

“Oh no you won’t,” I snapped scornfully. “I cannot just leave you alone for three hours. Who knows what you’ll get into?”

“Oh, so you don’t trust me?”

“I can’t leave you alone!” I snarled.

“Sounds like you want to.”

I just glared at her. My anger was really just because I loved her too much to leave her. And she knew that. She was too stubborn to say it.

“See? Obviously you don’t want to stay with me. Just go, will you?” she snapped. “Go and teach complete strangers who might think you’re a freak. Who wouldn’t – they haven’t seen us for, what, three weeks, and of course Kayla’s told almost everyone. Face it Danny, we’re still misfits, even here.”

“And you can’t just be cooped up here for nine months,” I growled.

Angeline’s green eyes were like fires as she got off the bed and stood an inch from me. Face expressionless, she snarled, “Try me.”

All I said was, through clenched teeth, “You’ll come out eventually. But, fine by me, rot away in here.”

“You’re a bitch, Daniel.”

“At least I’m not afraid to see my family,” I retorted. “Or tell them a secret.” My voice was scornful. “I can’t believe you’re afraid to tell them.”

“You’re not the one who’s pregnant,” Angeline shrieked. “Do you know what it’s like?”

“I know it’s not pleasant, but you don’t have to take your anger out on me!”

“You’re the one who starts it!” She turned away, her arms still crossed, fury coming off her in tangible waves. “You know what…forget it. Just forget it.”

“How can I forget it if I have to chose between staying with you and going to teach those kids?” I growled, not wanting to end this way. We hadn’t solved anything, though fighting more wasn’t the answer. But we mutants did have nasty tempers – something always got broken, whether it was an expensive vase or human bones, something got hurt.