Chapter 1

New York. It was packed full with people. Every year it would continue to become over crowded. You, being one of the inhabitants, hated the constant flow of people into the city. You hated people in general. But most of all, people hated you.

You weren't a wizard, but you knew about the wizarding world. You knew all too well. The persecutions and the ideas of there being witches and wizards were common in the United States, unlike in Britian where they were pretty much non existent. They were good at covering their tracks. Almost too good. Of course, there wasn't exactly any hard evidence that there actually were any witches or wizards in America, but people had their suspicions.

You, were not a wizard. Nor were you exactly human. You were a Shapeshifter. You had the uncanny ability to shift into several types of animals. Wizards would refer to your kind as magical creatures. Technically, it was illegal to have magical creatures in America, but yet here you are. You were especially good at hiding your abilities, blending into society as the average citizen. Most shapeshifters in America hide their abilities, living out normal lives. The ones who share their abilities with the world are persecuted and often captured and shipped off to countries who allow them. You've always hated the treatment of your kind. It was as if you were animals, and not people. Like they could choose to ship you off to where ever they liked, like you were the common household pet. It disgusted you.

It was December 1929. Ever since Black Tuesday, also known as the stock market crash of October 29th, 1929, things have been especially hard. Poor littered the streets, and unemployment was at an all time high. Fortunately, things were going well for you. You hadn't lost that much money and you still had your job at the local bakery. Also, You still had your small apartment which was fairly surprising.

The bakery you worked at was called J.K. Rolls. Everyone around town adored it. They especially loved the owner. He was a bit awkward, but sweet. The bakery helped you keep a low profile, since no one would expect a shapeshifter would work at a bakery. They believed them to be animals, not capable of having real jobs.

You woke up, your eyes fluttering open as the first rays of daylight assaulted your eyes. You never needed an alarm clock, since the sun would do the job for you. You got up, going through your daily routine; brushing your teeth and hair, getting dressed, and grabbing a donut and a cup of steaming hot coffee. On your way out, you unhooked and unlocked the countless number of locks decorating you door. You were always a paranoid person. After you finished fumbling with the locks you walked to the bakery.

It wasn't even open for five minutes and a line had already formed. It wasn't even the taste of the sweets that got people coming, even though they were absolutely delicious. It was the shape in which they were made. Jacob would mold the variety of treats into weird animals and creatures. They were so creative that it would catch anyone's eye.

You opened the door, the small bell jingling above you in the process. Jacob looked up from the cash register, sending you a warm smile.

"Good-morning (Y/N), I thought you were coming in tomorrow and taking the day off?" He tilted his head in question, handing a bag of sweets to a small boy.

"Eh, I didn't feel like spending the entirety of my time cooped up in my apartment. Besides, I need the money." You explained, grabbing one of the aprons hanging on the wall and slipping it on. Jacob nodded understandingly, returning his attention to the swarm of customers. You pushed through to the kitchen and began icing some of the sweets.

"Hey, I'm going out to pick up some shipments of flour since we're running a bit low, you wouldn't mind taking over for a short while would you?" Jacob asked, heading towards the back door.

"No not at all, it would be my honor." You joked, sending him a sly smirk as you curtsied, causing him to roll his eyes.

"Just don't yell at the customers this time, please." He replied, shutting the door behind him. You made your way to the register, taking the orders of the customers. You couldn't remember how many times you gave out your famous fake smiles and thank you's. You hated socializing, but you were good at faking it. Very good. But that's when he came.

"Excuse me, miss?"

"Yes, what would you like?" You responded, not looking up from the money you were cramming into the register.

"May I have a word with your boss? Jacob Kowalski?" You glanced up at the mysterious man in front of you. He had short, wavy brown hair, bright green eyes, and a ton of freckles. He looked rather dorky, but handsome. His posture wasn't that great, since he hunched, but he was tall none the less. You swallowed the growing lump in your throat.

"He's out at the moment, but he should be back momentarily." You concluded in a monotone voice, quickly glancing away and looking at anything but him.

"Ah. Then I'll take one of those please." He pointed towards one of the pastries in the shape of a dragon-like creature. You sighed, taking it out and putting it in a small bag.

"That will be fifty cents please." He rummaged through his coat pockets, turning them out then frowning. He pulled out a golden coin instead.

"Will this suffice?" He set the coin on the table and you examined it. It's certainly worth way more than fifty cents. You looked closer at the coin and narrowed your eyes. Wizard money. You slammed the coin back onto the counter.

"We don't take that kind of money sir." You spat, sliding the golden coin towards him. He seemed taken aback by your tone. Jacob walked in from the kitchen and smiled warmly at the man.

"Newt! It's so great to see you! How long has it been? Three years?" He hugged him and looked down at the briefcase he was clutching. He leaned in a whispered something in his ear that you couldn't make out. You shifted on your legs, tapping your hand on the counter. Jacob turned towards you.

"(Y/N)! This is Newt Scamander, he's an old friend of mine. He just came in from Britain." Jacob explained excitedly. Newt reached out his hand towards you and smiled.

"It's nice to meet you (Y/N)." You glanced at his hand for a few moments until you hesitantly shook it. He seemed like a fairly nice person, but you knew all wizards were like that at the start. You knew that would change if he found out what you truly were. You thought he would be just like the rest and get you shipped off to god knows where. But there was something about him that you couldn't figure out. Something special, and you were definitely going to find out.