Chapter 6

"Would you get off of her?" Newt demanded, prying the small creature off of your face.

"What is that?" You asked. Newt opened the back door to the small shack, tossing the blue creature out then quickly shutting the door behind it.

"That, was a Niffler."

"A what." You raised a brow. Newt turned towards you, walking passed you to his desk.

"A Niffler." Newt repeated. He grabbed the remaining pieces of parchment on his desk and placed them in a drawer with the rest. You assumed he didn't want you to see them.

"Do you have more odd creatures running about in your case Mr. Scamander?" You laughed.

"If only you knew." He picked up a bucket and handed it to you, which you took. Peering down into the bucket, your face twisted to one of pure disgust. It was filled to the brim with large insects. Mostly cockroaches.

"What the hell is this?" You asked as Newt walked towards the back door. He opened it, motioning for you to go through. Giving Newt a confused look, you walked passed him out of the shack. When you saw what was outside of Newts shack, you completely froze.

All around you were all sorts of magical creatures and a variety of habitats that suited them. Every bad thing you've ever thought about Newt, you wanted to take back. Newt walked past you, tending to what looked like a gigantic beetle.

"You take care of these animals?"

"I care for them, and study them. I'm currently writing a book on magical creatures." Newt grabbed the bucket from your hands and gave some of the insects to small dragon-like creatures. "I absolutely love them."

You bent down to examine the blue dragons. They had the face of dragons, but were covered in blue feathers, and were way too small to be an actual dragon.

"Those are Occamys." Newt said. You reached your hand out to one. It hesitantly sniffed at your fingers, then rubbed against your hand. Newt tilted his head. "That's odd. Normally they are aggressive when touched." You knew why this creature was unusually kind to you. It could smell what you were. There was a sudden knock coming from the shack.

"You need to hide. Now." Newt whispered, grabbing the bucket and hurriedly walking towards the shack. You stood up from petting the Occamys, looking towards Newt. He turned back around. "I said now!" You frantically looked around for a decent place to hide when Tina walked outside of the shack. You quickly crouched behind a large boulder. Even though you were a good distance away from them, you could still hear their voices.

"Hello Tina." Newt greeted, sending her a small smile.

"Sorry for bothering you Newt, Queenie wanted me to ask you if you would like to come over for dinner again sometime this week?" She asked, giving the wizard a soft smile. Her feelings for him were very obvious. You knew from the second you saw her that she was head over heals for the unusually tall wizard.

"I don't see why not? Tell her I'd be delighted to come over." Newt said, standing so that her view was blocked of your hiding spot. Tina nodded her head, noticeably pleased by his response.

"It took me longer than it should have to get here, there was a fire in one of the apartment complexes several blocks down. Right across from the bank. I've never seen so much smoke fill the air...." Tina explained. Newt nodded.

"Fires are quite common in these crowded muggle homes." Newt responded. There was a long awkward pause before either of them spoke.

"W-Well, I'll see you later this week then. Goodbye Newt..." Tina said, making her way back out of Newts case. Newt let out a long sigh of relief, turning back towards the rock you were hiding behind.

"She's gone, you can come out now." There was silence. "(Y/N)..?" Newt peered behind the boulder, you were no where to be seen. He pinched the bridge of his nose in irritation, and slight worry. "Where in the bloody hell could she have gone...."

~

As you raced down the streets of New York, your heart felt as if it would burst from your chest. The moment you heard Tina talk about the fire across from the bank, you knew it had to be one of the other Shapeshifter apartments. Years ago you learned that the complex you were born in was not the only one in the city. Several other hideouts were scattered around New York. Of course, not every shapeshifter lived in them. Some, like yourself, believed that it was safer to be apart from each other. Others believed they were stronger together. When ever you heard that any of your kind were in some sort of trouble, you would always try to come to their aid. You never wanted what happened to you to happen to others.

As you reached the building, thick columns of smoke billowed from it. The firemen below sprayed water into the flame covered windows, but to no avail. It was already out of control and would most likely collapse at any moment.

In front of the building, a woman could be seen yelling as two men held her back. Walking closer you could clearly see her face. You recognized her as one of the women who lived in your old apartment complex when you were a child.

"Get your hands off of me! I'm not going to stand by while my own daughter gets swallowed by the flames!" The woman screamed at one of the men. "She's just a child! Please.."

"If you go in there, you'll be burned alive! There's no hope for your daughter miss, I'm sorry." One of the men yelled.

"Hey, get off of her!" You pulled the men off of her, sending them angry glares. You guided the women away from them and faced her. "Where is your daughter?" You asked. She furrowed her brows as she scanned your face, her eyes widening as she recognized you.

"(Y-Y/N)?"

"Where is your daughter!" You repeated, snapping her out of her thoughts. Her face suddenly filled with fear once more. She quickly pointed up towards one of several floors of the complex.

"F-fourth floor. Please hurry." She pulled you closer, speaking in barely but a whisper. "Don't get caught." You firmly nodded, turning and running straight into the fiery building, ignoring the loud protests from the firemen behind you.

AN- So sorry for the long hiatus. A lot has been going on and it's been a bit stressful (College and such) and I needed a bit of a break, I hope you all understand. But as the summer approaches I'll be more frequent in my updates! I know this chapter is garbage but it will get better 😂.