Chapter 12

"Tina? Where are you going?" Queenie asked, watching her sister grab her long coat and hat from the kitchen as she made a cup of coffee.

"Out." Tina replied quickly, slipping on her shoes and heading towards the door. Queenie looked at her with a puzzled expression.

"This early? The suns not even up!" She yelled after her. "Where in the bloody hell do you have to go at six o'clock in the morning!"

"Work, Queenie! I have to go in early." Tina replied angrily, walking out of the apartment and slamming the door. She let out a long sigh, looking back at the door regretfully before making her way down the stairs and out into the cold.

She shoved her hands in her pockets as she walked down the empty city streets. She had the sudden urge to get out of the house and walk, something to try and get her mind off of you and Newt. She had been tossing and turning all night, unable to get a wink of sleep. She thought maybe if she took a walk before going to the MACUSA it would help clear her mind.

Of course, passing your apartment complex didn't help in the slightest.

She stopped in her tracks at the sighting of your apartment, biting her lip in deep thought. She decided to let her curiosity get the better of her and quickly walked into the building. Reaching your apartment, she glanced around the hallway, searching for any sign that someone might see her. After she concluded that no one was around, she took out her wand and leaned towards the front door. She muttered a spell to detect any sort of life.

There was none.

Letting out a shaky breath, she pointed her wand to the doorknob.

"Alohomora," Tina whispered, waiting for the soft click to be heard that signaled the door was unlocked. There were several clicks, causing Tina to scoff. "Muggles and their paranoia." She slowly turned the knob, letting the door swing open with a quiet creak. She stepped inside, continuing to look around to be sure you were truly gone. She noticed that there was an absence of shoes by the door and no coats on the rack next to it, which put her mind at ease.

"Merlin, what am I doing." Tina muttered to herself as she walked quietly around your dimly lit apartment. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Things were clean and well kept, several plants were scattered around the living room, and normal looking furniture filled the rooms. It looked like a regular muggle apartment.

Walking into your room, she made her way to your small desk, opening the drawers and searching through your things. If this wasn't an invasion of privacy she didn't know what was. Her eyes flicked to your window sill, landing on what looked to be black and white feathers. They were scattered along the window sill and along the floor beneath it.

"Feathers? Does she have a bird?" Tina asked aloud, walking over and kneeling down to pick one up. She lifted it up, running the pad of one of her fingers along the side of it. She let it fall to the floor, slowly standing up with a strained grunt. Now that she thought about it, she wondered why you weren't here. It's not like the bakery was open, it was the weekend.

She glanced over at your bed, which was fully made and seemed to be untouched for a day or so. None of your things seemed to be packed either. Her stomach dropped as she came to a sickening realization. She immediately walked out of the room and out of your apartment, quickly running down the stairs and outside.