Chapter 4

As the evening progressed, a slight chill filled the air. You cursed yourself for not wearing thicker clothing. You hoped that the three of you would arrive at Queenies soon to avoid the cold. Part of you wished that you could shift into an animal accustomed to the cold, but you realized that it wouldn't be the best of ideas.

As you arrived at the apartment complex, Jacob quickly stopped you before entering.

"The landlady here doesn't approve of men on the premises, so we're going to have to sneak in." He explained, giving you an apologetic look. You nodded and stealthily crept up the stairs. Once the three of you were sure that you were out of the landlady's earshot, you relaxed. Entering the small apartment, you were greeted with the sweet smell of rose and apple strudel.

"Sweetie, is that you?" A soft voice sounded from the kitchen. A woman with light blonde hair and bright blue eyes walked into the living room. She was truly very beautiful. Her hair was curled loosely, draping over the sides of her face, creating a pleasant contrast to her features. She looked ethereal, yet imposing at the same time. She had a strong New York accent as well, letting you know that she must have grown up here. You assumed that the woman was Queenie.

"Yep! I hope you don't mind, I brought a few friends with me." Jacob replied as he set his coat on a rack by the door. You, being the socially awkward person you are, stood by the door with the equally socially awkward Newt. You weren't very good with meeting new people, as a matter of fact you tried your best to avoid it.

"Mr. Scamander? Mr. Scamander!" Queenie smiled, running up to him and giving him a hug. "It's been too long! Me and Tina were wondering when you would be visiting again. What a lovely surprise!" She continued. Her eyes landed on your form.

"And who's this?"

"(Y/N). I work with Jacob at the bakery." You responded. Queenie smiled even wider, if that was even possible.

"Well nice to finally meet you. Jacob's told me a lot about you. Your one of the only workers he never regretting hiring." You looked over to Jacob and smirked.

"I never knew you would be capable of saying nice things about me." You teased. Jacob rolled his eyes in response.

"Tina should be here soon, she's still not back from work. I bet she'll be happy to see you Mr. Scamander." Queenie concluded, sending Newt a small smirk. Newt faintly smiled and nodded. As everyone sat down, Queenie turned to face you.

"So, tell me about yourself (Y/N). How long have you lived in New York?" She asked. You weren't exactly keen on talking about your past, since you would have to come up with all sorts of lies.

"I've lived in New York all my life." You replied.  That was the truth. Queenie tilted her head in confusion.

"That's funny, you don't really seem like the city type." Suddenly the door opened, causing everyone to turn towards it. A woman with dark chestnut hair entered.

"Tina! What took you so long?" Queenie questioned, glaring at her sister. "You were supposed to help me with dinner."

"Sorry I'm late, we busted a group of Shapeshifters a few blocks down." She explained, catching her breath. You whipped your head towards her, your face turning a ghostly pale. Newt seemed to notice your sudden change in behavior, causing his brows to furrow in concern. You suddenly wished you had never came.

"N-Newt?" Tina looked towards Newt, her eyes widening in surprise. Newt stood up and smiled.

"Hello Tina." He replied. Tina walked up to him and wrapped her arms around him in a warm embrace. Newt seemed rather uncomfortable, shifting on his legs. Tina backed away, her face lighting up with pure joy.

"You should have told me you were coming to visit." Tina added. She turned towards you, her brows raising in curiosity.

"That's (Y/N). She works with Jacob at the bakery." Newt explained. Tina narrowed her eyes, examining you further.

"She's a no-maj. what's an no-maj doing here?" Tina demanded, pulling out her wand. Your body stiffened as she pointed it directly at your face. Newt quickly lowered Tina's wand, blocking you from her view.

"I disagree with this as much as you do Tina, but Jacob seems to trust her immensely, so I believe we should give her a chance." Newt persuaded. There was an awkward silence before she slowly put her wand away. Tina sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose in frustration.

"If anyone finds out about this, you know what has to happen." Tina stressed.

"L-Lets eat! I made apple strudel, remember that Newt? I made it the first time you came here, what a coincidence!" Queenie quickly changed the subject. As everyone sat down to eat, Jacob decides to make conversation.

"So Tina, what exactly are shapeshifters? they're Magical Creatures right?" He asked.

"Yes. Therefore it's illegal for them to be in America." Tina stated. "It's rather controversial since they are people who can change into a variety of animals." She continued. "I hardly see them as anything but animals." At those words, you slammed your hands down onto the table.

"Animals? If that's what you see them as, then you truly are blind." You snapped, causing the kitchen to become achingly silent. Realizing your actions, your face lost all color.

"Since when do you know anything about magical creatures? Last time I checked, your a no-maj. maybe if you knew what these things were capable of, you would understand why they shouldn't be allowed in America." Tina retorted. If looks could kill, Tina would be dead in an instant. It took all of your strength not to jump across the table at her.

"They shouldn't be treated the way that they're treated. They are technically humans, you know." Newt put in, taking his finished plate to the sink. "I find them quite fascinating really. I've always wanted to meet one, I have a lot of questions." He continued.

"They're animals. Nothing more, nothing less." Tina finished. You ignored her statement, staring at Newt in confusion, and curiosity. Never has anyone stood up for your kind that way, let alone found them fascinating.

Just who was this person?