Chapter 3

"Oh no."

Newt stood still, not knowing exactly what to do. You didn't exactly want to blow your cover and not act surprised. So, you played the part. Your annoyed facial expression turned to pure astonishment.

"How did you do that..?" You asked, sounding amazed. Newt frowned.

"Jacob, you know what I have to do." He sighed to Jacob, pulling out his wand. You fought not to back away, knowing all too well what that wooden weapon was capable of. Jacob walked in front of you defensively. His short stature made it difficult for him to block Newts view of you.

"She won't tell anyone, I'm sure of it. Please Newt." He pleaded.

"It was hard enough to get permission not to obliviate you, I don't think they would allow her to know our secrets." He said sternly, pointing the wand towards you once more. 'Obliviate? Is that what they did to my parents?' You thought to yourself. Silence filled the room, until Newt hesitantly lowered his wand, a frown plastered on his face. Jacob let out a sigh of relief.

"I guess I should explain then." Newt concluded, stuffing his wand back into his coat pocket. "This may come as a bit of a shock to you, but I'm a wizard." He searched your face for any sign of disbelief.

"A wizard? So you use magic."

"Precisely. We manipulate magical energy through wands, and use that to do a number of things. We are a secret society that dwells beneath the noses of muggles."

'Muggles?' You pondered. Newt sensed your confusion and explained.

"Muggles are non-magic people, normal people, like yourself. They have no clue about us, and we'd like to keep it that way." You stifled the urge to laugh. You couldn't be farther from a muggle. Having the ability to change into all sorts of animals isn't exactly considered normal.

"So, you live in a case?" You questioned, raising a brow. He seemed to be offended by your inference, running a hand through his messy locks.

"It's not my permanent house no, but it's temporarily my living quarters until I return to England."

"Can I go inside?"

"No." He said immediately after your question. Your instincts were telling you that he was hiding something. Something big. You definitely wanted to find out what it was.

"Alright. I was just asking." You explained. What frustrated you was how he trusted you enough to spill his secret of being a wizard, but couldn't let you see his magic case. The only thing that you wanted to concern yourself with at the moment was keeping your secret. Also, if you befriended this man, maybe you could find out more about what they do with your kind and possibly where you might be able to find your parents.

"Jacob, could I speak with you privately for a moment?" Newt asked, slipping his wand into his coat pocket.

"Sure Newt, but I kind of have customers to take care of-"

"Great, lets go." Newt interrupted, grabbing Jacob and heading further into the kitchen. You knew the correct course of action would be to handle the massive swarm of frustrated customers in the front of the shop, but your curiosity got the best of you. Very slowly you crept towards the back of the kitchen until you heard two sets of hushed whispers.

"It's too dangerous. What if the aurors begin to suspect something." You heard Newt whisper, rather angrily. Scooting closer behind the counter, you could hear their voices more clearly.

"Trust me, I know (Y/N). She would never tell a soul about this. She's a very loyal and respectful person. You can trust her, Newt." Jacob urged. Jacob was one of your only true friends. Your only friend, as a matter of fact. He showed you compassion that was hard to come by these days.

"I hope your right about this." Newt replied. He seemed like the kind of person who doesn't take trust lightly, which you respected. Trust shouldn't be thrown around like some meaningless gesture. If you begin to trust everyone you meet, you'll only dig your own grave.

~

Evening was setting in, causing orange rays to cascade along the walls. Jacob decided to close the shop early today, which you didn't mind of course. Jacob was about to leave with Newt, until he thought of something.

"Hey, (Y/N)."

"Hm?" You answered, locking the last of the registers for the night.

"Me and Newt are going over my girlfriends house, would you care to join us?" Newts eyes widened at Jacobs last words. You could sense Newt's disapproval, but you completely ignored it. You were about to decline Jacob's offer, which is what Newt was expecting you to do, but you suddenly changed your mind.

"That sounds..... nice. Sure, I'll go. It's not like I have anything that I need to do." You decided. A cheery smile grew onto Jacobs face. Newt, on the other hand, seemed quite irritated. As the three of you left the quaint bakery, Jacob began to tell you about his girlfriend. You knew he had one, but you've never seen her in person.

"She's a wizard too, you know." He started, glancing up at you. "Her sister is also a wizard." Newt gives Jacob a look of confusion. "Oh, sorry I forgot their called witches." Jacob laughed. "It's been almost four years and Im still trying to get the hang of things." Jacob continued. "She works as an auror- or she used to. Say Newt, you two are pretty close. Does she still work as an auror?" He continued.

"She got her position back after the incident. From the letters she sent me, she's doing fairly well for herself." Newt announced. There was something about the way he spoke about her, that peaked your interest. It was almost as if he was sad. This man had so many secrets, and you were positive you would find them out.