He's Back

Nessa and Natania walked around the house looking for a note. It had seemed as though they had been in every room of the house already and that they were just walking around aimlessly but as they were walking Nessa spotted a door at the end of the dark hallway.

"Natania, I don't think we have ever gone into that room."

Nessa spoke in a whisper that sent chills down Natania's back as she had already been on edge because she was in the dark.

"I don't know if that's a good idea Nessa."

Natania​ didn't bother telling Nessa about the man in the dark because​ they were both on edge already.

"I don't think it's a good idea either but let's just do it."

"Fine, let's go."

It was a short walk to the door but it felt like forever before they got to the door. Nessa was the first to open the door and go into the room.

"Wait! Nessa, do you hear that?"

There was a slow but continuous tap that could be heard and then the sound of chains were heard.

"Natania, what is that?"

Natania knew she had to tell Nessa about the man in the darkness because she was sure that he was back but she also knew this was not the right time.

"Follow me."

The room was dark but Natania still managed to find a place to hide herself and Nessa. She couldn't see what they were hiding behind but it felt like a table.

"We need to be quiet. I'll explain later." Natania said in a whisper and motioned for Nessa to be quiet.

"You know what's going on!?"

"Shhhh!"

After that the girls sat in complete silence and waited for the worse to happen​. The sound of something tapping against a wall came closer and closer causing Natania's heart to beat so quickly she thought it would burst out of her chest. A tap was then heard and then the doorknob began to turn. Natania couldn't find the courage to look past the table that was blocking them but she could hear what sounded like fingers tapping against the wall in the room. The sound eventually became louder.

"Come out, come out, wherever you are."

Nessa folded her lips in an attempt to hold in a scream. Natania closed her eyes and hoped that history would repeat itself and the man in the darkness would go away.

"How about we play a game of 'Hide and Seek'?"

The girls looked at each other​ and shared a confused look.

"I know you're both in here. How about we play hide and seek and if you win you won't have to find anymore notes, you can just go home. If I win... you'll just have to wait to find out what will happen."

Natania and Nessa looked at each other and gave each other a "why not?" look. They both stood up and looked in the direction of where they had heard the speaking coming from.

"Fine, we'll play your game but you have to promise​ you'll keep your promise." Nessa said trying her best to hide the fear in her voice.

"Why would I ever lie?" The Man in the Darkness asked in a creepy, low voice and then he let out a psychotic laugh that sent chills down both of the girl's spines.

"I'll close my eyes and the both of you will hide. I win if I find both of you and you win if you survive for 24 hours. There will be a clock in every room."

The man gave them five minutes to hide and after the five minutes he counted down to one from five. He would pause after every number.

"5..."

"4..."

"3..."

"2..."

"1... ready or not, here I come."

The way he said "ready or not, here I come" made Natania's heart drop. It wasn't the same as when she was younger and would play hide and seek with her friends, this was a game of life or death.

Natania and Nessa decided the basement was the best place to hide so they found the door that Beth had led them to before and made their way down the staircase in complete darkness. The stairs were made of wood so every step they took made a loud creaking sound. Finally they made it to the bottom and saw something they hadn't seen before in the basement. There was a rocking chair but that wasn't the problem. The rocking chair was rocking on its own and not as if wind​ had blown it, it was rocking as if someone was shaking it.

"It's still better than upstairs. This is the safest place to hide." Natania said when she noticed the fear in Nessa's face.

Nessa just nodded her head. The bookshelf then began to shake and after about one minute it fell with a loud bang. Natania moved out of the way of the shelf just in time to not be crushed by it.

"Nessa, look at that."

The shelf revealed a large picture of an old woman. The old lady had white hair that was up in a bun, a wrinkled face and black eyes that seemed to follow you wherever you went. The unusual thing about her face was that it was emotionless. 

"Wow, who is she?" Nessa wondered getting closer​ to the picture.

"Remember when Beth was talking about the old lady who would sacrifice people?"

"You think it's her in this picture?"

"Yeah, who else would it be?"

Their conversation was cut short by the sound of footsteps slowly walking down the stairs to the basement. Natania looked up and saw that the man was coming​ down the stairs but he didn't seem to see them yet so she grabbed Nessa's arm and pulled her behind the stairs leading to the basement. The man looked everywhere except for under the stairs but he would occasionally scan the whole room. Everytime his eyes would fall on the stairs the girl's hearts would beat so fast that they were afraid he would hear their heart beats. Each step had a space between it and the one over and under it so they were afraid he would look closer and see them. Eventually he gave up and began going back up the stairs but Nessa let out a sigh of relief and he stopped but began going back up the stairs again. When they didn't hear anymore footsteps they waited for a few more seconds then came out.

"This is going to be a long 24 hours." Natania said looking at the clock.

Thank you for reading this chapter. Hope you enjoyed. ☠