Chapter 6 : Prelude of the dark days

***

Leo sits quietly on a gray, solo couch propped on a neat but small room. Beside him is a table complimentary to the chair's size with a serving of tea and cookies. It's been ages mula ng huli siyang nagpunta roon at nakipagkita sa may-ari ng silid.

"You know the culprit then, Leo? No Invisibles will do such a thing to Helena. She's an important asset to them. The Untouchables are also not capable of doing it. She's too strong for them."

Hindi na nag-abalang lumingon sa pinanggagalingan ng tinig si Leo. He casually sipped his tea.

Ang kausap niya ay nasa likod ng rattan na divider. Pero kahit na hindi niya ito makita, he knows her all too well. She's his Drifter.

"I have an idea yet, I cannot make a move. The only person who can confront the enemy is Helena. Kung malalaman ni Helena ang lahat mula sa akin nang wala pang nakikitang katibayan, she might rush herself again. Facing the enemy unprepared will only heighten the risk. We don't want to lose Helena this time."

"I see. Then, aside from preventing your charming grandson to read your mind, did you visit all the way here in Quezon to chat with me?"

Nahimigan niya ang panunudyo sa tinig nito. Hindi lingid sa ibang matatanda sa Konseho na hindi lang si Helena ang kayang basahin ng apo niyang si West kundi maging siya.

"No," sabi niya. "I want to know how you and your granddaughter are doing these days."

Tumawa ng mahina ang kausap niya.

"Oh... don't worry about the brat. I sent her to some old town. She told me a legion is coming. Sooner than later."

Tumango-tango si Leo.

"These are very dangerous times for us, Leo. Not just for Drifters but for Exorcists as well. The world is going to lose its balance once more if we defend it blindly."

"That was something I need to confirm from you and your granddaughter, Alicia."

"A lot of people signed contracts for the Invisibles and the demon. We have to better ourselves to continuously protect the world as we know it."

Natahimik sila.

"So I hope you will not lose Helena this time, Leo. Dark days are coming."

"I know, Alicia. We need enough of them to keep things under control, the way our ancestors have been doing it centuries ago."

The lights in the room flickered. God knows kung ilan na lang silang natitira na tagapamagitan sa mga dimensyon. They're hoping He would send more because times are getting chaotic. The way it was predicted a long time ago.

***

"Are you alright? Don't you need to rest some more?" usisa ni West kay Helena nang lumabas siya mula sa kotse nito.

Paupo itong nakasandal sa hood ng kotse na itinigil nito sa tabi ng highway. Sa pwesto nila ay overlooking ang lungsod ng Maynila. Kitang-kita ang ulap ng polusyon na nakatakip sa langit nito. Naroon din ang mapulang araw na unti-unting bumababa.

Nakisandal siya sa kotse. "I'm okay, West."

Nagkibit-balikat ito. "You already fainted. I don't want you fainting later."

"I don't think I fainted because I'm tired," aniya at lumunok.

She knew why she fainted. She felt something stabbed her chest. Something bad happened to her other self. Pero hindi niya pwedeng sabihin iyon kay West ngayon.

"The sun is setting soon. But we still have to wait until... maybe... eleven before we can enter cemeteries."

"I know," aniya. "But you also need to drive for hours bago tayo makarating doon. Tere and Alma are in Cavite. Alfred's in Bulacan and Mia's in Laguna."