Chapter 11 : The beginning of the Sin

***

West is clutching his chest with the Siete Virtudes in his left hand. His shirt was soaking in thick blood.

Tagos ang pana sa katawan niya. Bahagya pa itong nagbabaga at tumutulo ang dugo niya mula sa matulis na nguso nito.

He was literally dragging himself up the stairs. Something bad has happened. Sigurado siya.

Nawawala si Helena.

Hindi niya maramdaman si Helena!

He was panting when he reached the second floor landing. Umubo siya. Nahihirapan na siyang huminga. Judging from the pain in his chest and given that he was still alive, the arrow missed his heart. Still, the question about how long he could last before he fainted from blood loss and total exhaustion remains.

The second floor was looming with darkness and horrifying voices and dark hands ready to snatch a soul. A portal from the other world has been opened up. That's why cursed entities were there, howling, whispering in the stillness.

Can he still use his power to cast out this darkness?

He snickered.

The heck with the blood and exhaustion. He is a Guardian and he will perform his duties no matter if he's dying. He has to make the floor safe for Helena.

He held the Siete Virtudes in its seventh section, recited a short prayer and tapped the tip of the stick on the floor.

The darkness was quickly wiped out by the moonlight. The cursed souls growl in protest but could not do anything. They vanished like smoke. Once again, night birds and nocturnal insects made noises.

Umubo uli siya. Natumba.

He might die from exhaustion now instead of blood loss.

Nagsimula siyang gumapang sa sahig palapit sa pinto ng Master's bedroom. Helena's body should be there. He has to help her. And he has to call for her soul to come back.

Mabibilis at masakit sa dibdib ang paghinga niya ng makalapit sa pinto. He tried opening the door - pushing it with his free hand - but he was useless with the little strength that he has left. He was still out of ideas on how to get inside the room when the door opened.

Iniluwa ng pinto si Helena na nag-aalalang napatingin sa kanya. Paluhod itong sumaklolo. Her hands touching his face gently.

"What happened to you? How did you get injured?"

Hindi siya sumagot. He was searching something in her eyes and he cannot find it.

"You are not Helena," malamig ang tinig niya.

Surprise showed in Helena's face before it turned into a smile.

"Nice to see you, West," anito. Hindi pa rin ito umaalis sa tabi niya.

"What are you doing with her body, Alena?"

Bumuntong-hininga ang tinanong.

"I expected you to side with her because she's your Drifter. But this is too much. You're not even happy to see me."

"Where is she?" tanong niya.

"Can you take a guess?"

"I'm not here to play with you," sabi niya rito.

"I can see that. You don't have the time," sabi nito at hinawakan ang dulo ng pana na tagos sa dibdib niya. Pinihit nito ang pana.

He tried hard not to grimace with the pain. He doesn't know if he succeeded.