19 || Cold

Spencer

Maybe not everything has to be over. Maybe not everything and everyone needs to be lost and ended. Maybe Michael can bring us all back together.

It is killing to wait. Nobody dares to say anything, and it isn't going to make anything better if someone does. Mr & mrs Clifford and Ashton have been instructed to wait until they feel Michael is ready to see someone. They were told to wait in a separate room from me, Luke and Luke's mother.

I have bit my nails to the part where there is nothing left and I am biting off my own skin. Not knowing anything is killing me.

After a few minutes I hear my phone ring and I jump at the sound. I grab it out of my pocket and look at the caller ID,

"Mom"

"I'll be back soon." I mumble to Luke and he nods at me as I quickly stand up to walk towards the hall and answer the call.

"Mom, hi." I lean against the wall awkwardly.

"Spencer, how are you doing? I'm sorry I haven't been able to get in touch with you, there's not a lot of wifi here in Africa." She sounds uninterested.

She's on a sort of working holiday in Africa, since she's a writer who had an 'extreme writers block' as she likes to call it, so she decided to disconnect herself from the world and take a trip to Africa.

Without me, obviously.

"Yeah, I get it, I guess." I say, waiting for her answer and hoping she'll at least make a lame attempt to comfort me.

"But for the rest it is great here. Very nice people, everything is cheap, my morning coffee costs 90 cents here, can you believe that? But this different environment has really helped the creative side of my brain. I have come up with a handful of different stories, I am almost finished with the second book of my trilogy series; Hunt for the Daisies. It's gonna be great, my team is talking about a book tour around Europe, I've let a few people here read it, the ones who actually understand English, I mean. And they thought it was great. 'Perfect, perfect. Where can I buy?' they said. I might be gone for a few months more, you are alright there aren't you?"

I clenched my fist around the phone out of anger. She didn't even care. She couldn't not know. She must have read my texts, seen my emails, listened to my voicemails. She couldn't not know.

"That's great, mom." I said, trying not to sound too hurt or sarcastic, since that would just cause her to hang up and I needed someone. I needed her. I needed my mother.

"I knew you would think so. Now, if you don't mind. I really need to get back now, Spencer. All these social media notifications and contact with the world is giving me my headaches again."

I squeeze my phone so hard my hands start to sweat and it almost slips out of my hand. I feel a lump in my throat, and before I can say anything, she is talking again.

"Okay, Spencer. Goodbye now."

And she's gone. And I'm alone again, in the hall of the hospital of my suicidal friend who has just woken up from a coma, and I have never felt as cold as I am right now.