Chapter 2

It was fate. It wasn't a fucking coincidence that two weeks later and two states over, I saw her again.

This time, things were different. I know, I'm an idiot. Talk to a girl for two hours and decide you're in love with her. That's just what happens with me. After having the worst and only breakup in my life so far, I was vulnerable. She was like a dream.

Which is why when I showed up a little bit late to a party only to see her grinding on Pete, I felt myself fill with jealousy. She hadn't been mine to begin with, but that didn't change the fact that I felt cheated.

I walked right up behind Pete, and tapped on his shoulder. I didn't want to make a scene, but I wanted to get his attention. Pete usually understood these kinds of things. "Hey, Pete, can we talk?"

He immediately turned to face me, a grin on his face. "Hey! Trick, you made it!" He threw an arm around my shoulders. "What do you need to talk about?"

"Um... away from everyone else, please. Maybe outside?" I was a little embarrassed to have to have this conversation. I didn't want anyone else to hear it. Especially not my gorgeous mystery girl.

I could see a frown come over Pete's face. "Dude, look at this chick!" He pointed back at her. "You really want to make me miss out on this? She's A-plus!

I looked her over, and sighed. I couldn't disagree with him, but I was still nervous. But I suppose I got a little lucky.

She took a few steps forward, barely able to keep herself standing. I hadn't realized before how tired she seemed. She desperately reached out to grab onto someone so she wouldn't fall, but it was no use. She went tumbling to the ground.

I rushed to her side, hoping I could be her knight in shining armor.

It may have been a better plan had she been concious.

"Fuck!" Pete knelt down beside me as a crowd began to form around us.

I removed the bottle from her hand, immediately understanding. "I think someone roofied her."

"Yeah, that was her first drink. Couldn't be from too much alcohol." Pete was checking for a pulse, but he apparently wasn't picking anything up. "She's dead..."

There was a collective gasp from those surrounding us.

I shook my head, feeling sorry for everyone else's stupidity. "She's still breathing. She'll probably be fine."