Chapter 1

Emily Didonato as V

Emily Didonato as V. K.

Edward Wilding as Carter

Chapter 1

"Interesting accent you have Miss--," the director of the survivors sactuary, John Reed, opens my fake file, "Katrina Moretti." He places it back down on the desk.

I'm at a sanctuary in New York City where another army is located. Its located in a skyscraper, completely walled off from the rest of the disaster thats left. I forged a file to help get me inside and a friend of mine covered for me, saying I'm from a sanctuary in Chicago. The last sanctuary I was at with my parents was in Los Angeles. Far, far, away.

"Yes, well I'm from Italy and I moved to the states when I was 12, before all of this happened. But my fathers parents were from France, my mother was Russian and has a Russian accent, and her parents were German, so I grew up around all 4 cultures. I guess my accent is a mix. Depending on my mood I guess I take on one of those cultures," I chuckle and lie smoothly. Well it was all true, except I moved here when I was 13, and my parents are very much alive but I made it seem like they weren't.

"That's very interesting. What brings you here from Chicago?"

"I guess I like to help out wherever I can. Plus, I lived in Chicago when everything went to hell. I lost my family, and its become very hard to stay there."

"I understand. Well we're happy to have you. What would you like to do here?" He glances back at the file before closing it.

"I want to join your army."

"Are you sure? We don't really have women in the army here, most of them are doctors or cooks. I see you wanted to be a surgeon before everything happened, did you train after the disaster? Maybe it would suit you better." Although that is true, I was planning to be a surgeon and taking medical field courses in high school, my plans changed. That was 10 years ago. My parents did have me go through all the training to become a surgeon because they didn't want me fighting, but I've been training to fight since I could walk. And ever since the disaster I secretly trained to join the army too.