Chapter 5

Chapter 5

-V. K.

Its been 2 weeks since I was bit. A very uneventful 2 weeks. We've gone on a few missions but they were mostly just scavenging missions.

We just got back from another scavenging mission. Jared runs up beside me and stops me. "There's a party tonight on the 5th floor. you in?"

"Sure." I smile at him before heading to my room to clean off.

After my shower, I dig through my droors to find a decent party outfit. I find a nice black, short cocktail dress and get dressed. I remember finding the dress on a scavenger mission when I was at the sanctuary in Los Angelos. I had to hide it from my parents, they wouldn't approve of it.

The party's already started by the time I'm ready so I head straight there.

When the elevator doors open, music floods down the hall. Well that was easy to find.

There's flashing lights that light the dark room but its easy to see how large the crowd is. The room is very large and has a dance floor in the middle. There's a DJ booth on the opposite side of the room from where I am, and a bar on the side wall. Many of the women from the sanctuary have joined, and most of the soldiers are here as well.

"Hey, you made it!" Jared smiles and hands me a cup full of beer.

"Jared, who are you talk--" Carter freezes when he recognizes me. Okay I know I actually look like a girl for once, but come on man its obviously still me. I roll my eyes and his eyes graze over me. "Wow.." He shakes his head, recognition coming back to him. "Who would have thought you could look like a girl?"

I laugh and eye him up and down. He's wearing a tight, black button up and dark jeans. "And who would of thought you owned anything with buttons on it?"

"And hey, Jared's here too!" Jared waves his hand in front of us. I laugh and drink the beer he gave me.

"You look nice too Jared haha."

"Well duh." He smiles and adds, "have fun kids. I'm gonna go get laid." He walks off and my nose scrunches in disgust.

Carter laughs, "Yeah, no he's not."

Shouting from across the room catches my attention as men have beer chugging competitions. I turn to Carter and smile. "I'm so going to beat you!" I've been drinking on the DL for years and I've come to master the art, in my professional opinion.

"Someone's cocky." Well maybe a little.. "You're on." He leads the way over to the table where the contest is. There's 2 teams, 4 people on each side of the table and one cup of beer placed in fromt of them. Whichever person at the end finishes first, after all the other members have gone their turn, that team wins.

Me and Carter end up on the end of course, so we're going head to head.

"Ready... Set... Go!"

The first 2 guys in the line go up against each other and as soon as the one on my side finishes, the next in our line goes. So far we're in the lead and the first guy finished before the one across from him on Carter's team. When the person beside me takes his turn, he's slower and Carter's team catches up. Both finish at the same time and me and Carter yank our cups up.

I chug it down smoothly, taking large gulps and I don't come up for air not once.

I slam the cup down and Carter does as well. I at the judge beside me and he takes my arm, raising it up. "We have the winners!"

I jump up and laugh. "Ha! Told you so!"

"Bet you can't match me shot for shot!" I can tell he's very competitive, but so am I so there is no way I'm not accepting this challenge.