Chapter 3

Hi guys! So about the vamp disease. It only spreads if the vamp releases its venom, not just from the bite. But since their so rabid half the time they dont know their releasing it. Just wanted to give a breif look at this twist of the creatures. Enjoy! Xoxo

Chapter 3

-V. K.

Last time I saw Jakob, I was 16 and he was 6. And he was killed. His body was in shreds. How...

Carter raises his gun to shoot the vampire. "No! Stop!" I cry and shove his gun away.

"What the hell are you doing?!" He raises it again and I jump in front. "Move!"

"V-v-Val?" Vamps barely can speak, their so rabid. But they manage to somehow. And my brother, Jakob, just did.

I turn to him. "Jakob.." My legs act on their own accord.

"Katrina stop!"

"He's my brother.." I barely noticed the tears running down my face.

And then Jakob charges. His force hits me like a brick, knocking me on my back. He hisses and I hold him as far back as I can get him from me. His head jerks foward trying to bite me. "Jakob no!"

His eyes are red and viscious as he hisses and claws at me, tearing my shoulder up. It gives out and I can't support his weight on me. He starts getting closer and closer until a hear a gunshot and he falls dead.

"N-no! No Jakob!!"

Carter pulls him off and yanks me to my feet. "You killed him! You killed my brother!" I slap his hands off me and shove his chest away.

With one hand he catches my wrists before I can shove him. His free arm wraps around my waist and pulls me against him. He stares straight into my eyes that causes my mouth to close and not say another wors. "He wasn't your brother anymore and he was going to kill you!"

I stop struggling and sob. Carter hugs me closely for a breif moment, his warmth encompasses me. For a moment its as if all the troubles have gone away. but its ruined by more growls coming from around the corner.

"Lets go!" He runs to the elevator shaft and before my feelings can get the best of me, my survival instincts kick in. We climb until we join the others at the top floor. The vampires who were chasing us fall down the elevator shaft.

Carter grasps my face in his hands and I instinctively lean into his touch. "Are you alright? Did he bite you?"

"No, just clawed." I glance at my shoulder but its not too deep, I'll be fine.

"Shit." He releases me and wraps my shoulder up.

"I'm fine, really." I wave off his hands but he protests.

"We cant go back down we have to find another way out." Jared, one of the soldiers speaks up.

Carter finishes up and reaches in his bag, holding up long rope typically used for rock climbing. "This is how we get down."

A growl turns our attention away as a vampire pounces on Jack, another member. The vamp claws Jack's leg deeply before someone shoots it.

"This way!" One of the survivors opens the stair case door. "Its not connected to the rest of the staircases and it leads straight to the roof!"

We all pile in and Jared and Carter carry Jack. We all tie a survivor from the group to one of the members. All thats left is one rope for me and Carter. He ties the rope around himself and attaches me to him. "Don't go gettin any funny ideas." We all jump off and I wrap my arms around him as we propel downwards. We go slowly down and I gaze into the glass windows of the building.

"Look out!" But my shout was too late as a rabid vampire bursts through the glass window in front of us and clutches onto me. A scream escapes me and something sharp peirces my neck. I've never felt such pain before in my life. As he drinks, it feels as if my actual life force is being drained away with every drop. The pain causes my body to immobilize as the vampire drinks.

"No!" Carter shouts as the vampire sinks his teeth into my neck. He reaches onto my combat belt and yanks a stake from its holster. Carefully, he reaches around and plunges it into the vampires back, right where the heart is. Its fangs retract from my neck and he falls to the ground. Shortly after, I feel my feet touch the ground but they don't support me. Carter's arm wraps tightly around my waist and supports me up. "He..he.. oh my God Katrina.."

His words shake me from my daze and my eyes meet his. His eyes look pained and sad, and lots of guilt. "Its okay.. its not your fault. it doesn't matter right now. We need to help Jack."

"But--"

"Shh. Its going to be fine. I still have time before it happens. He didn't drain enough from me, I can function well enough to take care of Jack." I give him a small smile. "Whatever happens, happens." I pull myself away from him and regain my composure. There's still a chance the vamp didn't release its venom. And if it did I don't care right now.

I make my way over and look at Jack's leg. "Shit. It clawed through the Femoral artery. Okay listen up. The survival group goes into van 4. The rest of the team, pile into 2 of the cars I don't care how tight of a squeeze it is. I need to operate on him in the van or he wont make it. Carter your going to assist me and someone better drive that damn van as smooth as possible." I strip out of my gear all the way down to my tank top and toss it into the back of our van. I help Carter place Jack into the back of the van and lie him down. The team does as their told and Carter closes the doors behind us.

"Are you sure you're okay?" He eyes me up and down and reaches for a bandage. He places it on my neck.

"Don't worry on me. Focus on Jack." I take off my tank top and Carter freezes.

"Uhh..." He gulps and tries to revert his eyes.

"Oh for the love of God their just boobs." I press my tank top down on his leg. "Hold this there." I undo my belt and tie it tightly around his thigh. Then I grab my medical bag and sterilize the leg and my hands. "Your going to have to hold him down, okay? I can't do a full operation but I can perform a damn miracle and hope it lasts the drive back. I have to clamp the artery and its gonna freak him out." I look down at Jack and inject him with numbing shots. "Thats the best I can do, I cant put you to sleep. Close your eyes, its gonna be fine."

"Have you ever done this?" Carter brings my attention back to him.

I smile, remembering the happy memory of being a surgeon. "I was a surgeon. I got this."

Jack squeezes his eyes shut. "I swear if you get me through this alive I'd marry you."

I laugh and take out the tools to use. "You keep dreamin buddy." I look back at Carter and hold up the scalpal. "Hope your not squeamish."

"Strong stomach." He smiles for a breif second and then holds down Jack.

"Then here we go." I remove my tank top from his leg and begin cutting. As I'm pulling the scalpal away, we hit a bump in the road and I freeze. "Jesus Christ, Tom! Smooth ride, remember??"

"Sorry! Only fifteen more minutes left, trying to hurry." He slows down the van and keeps it steady.

After getting some of the bleeding under the control, I clamp the femoral artery. Then I take a bunch of gauze pads and pack the wound, the clamps still attached and holding it together. I wrap his leg so it all stays in place and the car stops in the parking deck of the sanctuary. I hadn't payed attention to any of the ride, I don't even recall getting past the wall. My back slumps against the wall and I sigh, relieved.

"That was amazing.." Carter looks at me in astonishment.

"He's going to make it." I smile at him.

All the light in his eyes fade and guilt replaces it. "Yeah.. But are you?"