Chapter 8

Chapter 8

-Carter

"What did I do?! I didn't do anything!" Val shakes with anger, jumping to sit up and stand her ground. I hold onto her, keeping her close before she hurts herself, or worse, someone else.

"You broke the boys nose! Now it'll be who knows how long for it to heal for your wedding." Her father shakes his head in disbelief.

"Broken noses heal in 2-3 weeks. Which I will be far from all of you by then!"

No.. She cant leave. I just got her! "He attacked her. Why would either of you want your daughter with someone who abuses her?" I can't believe they would do that. My parents never would have let my sister be with someone like that. But they're gone after what the world became, I guess the old people her parents used to be are gone now too.

"Oh please. Valentina is strong, she can handle it. She can certainly take a hit. Besides this is a new world. Abuse isn't even illegal or a thing anymore. And we need those resources, Val. This is the only way to insure that we will get them from Michael." Her mother paces the room, thinking. "Okay this is what's going to happen. You are going to marry him. In 3 weeks. Until then, you are going to stay out of the army and out of trouble. You're going to heal and you're going to look beautiful as a bride. You will not run. You will leave this," she waves her hand at me, "boy-toy and do what you are supposed to do. Or else.. Is that understood?"

I look at Val but she never meets my eyes. "Yes.."

My heart stops and I release her. Her mother interrupts me before I can say anything. "Good. Now that thats settled. You have a visitor." Her parents leave the room when a woman with dirty blonde hair walks in, carrying a baby in her arms. The babies no more than a few months old.

Val yanks the wires off and the IV out. She jumps from the bed, not even trying to take it easy, and runs over. "Serena!" She hugs the woman, careful not to squish the baby.

The woman, I'm guessing Serena, adjusts the baby in one arm so she can hug Val back.

Val takes Serena's face in her hands. "Are you okay?? Have they done anything to you?? To either of you? Where's James and Matthew??"

"James and Matthew are unpacking our things. Am I okay? Are you?! Not only because you're in the hospital, but if we are all the way here then I know you're parents are forcing you to do something you don't want to do. Something bad. Isn't it? We're their insurance policy again, aren't we?" Serena looks from Val, to me and then back at her friend. "And is he involved?" She points to me.

"Not anymore.." I get up to leave.

"Wait!" Val stops me. She picks up the baby and carries it over to me. "This is why I had to say yes. Please understand.. Serena and her family have been my best friend for 20 years. We survived together. And if I don't do what my parents ask.." she looks back at her friend before turning back to me. "They will kill her and her family.. including her," she holds up the baby. Bright green eyes look up between the 2 of us.

"She's beautiful," I smile down at the tiny being.

"Thank you.." Serena moves behind Val. "We named her Erika.. I know you couldn't be there to help choose a name and you wanted to. It meant enough to us that you were there for the delivery.. I'm glad you left right after, I couldn't let you marry that bastard."

Tears stream down Val's eyes and she turns to Serena. "Erika..as in my sister." She hugs the woman before looking down at the small baby. "Hi sweet girl." She smiles even with pain in her eyes, but shows deep love for the baby.

I can't even try to be mad. She's lost everything. Her siblings. Her freedom. Her right to love. All of it is gone.

"Val.. what is it their making you do?" Serena stands beside Val and looks between the 2 of us.

"Their making me marry Michael."

"They're.. What?!" Serena shouts and the baby starts to cry.

"Oh look what you've done," Val shh's the baby and rocks her back and forth until she quiets down.

"He did that to your face, didn't he? I'm going to kill that bastard!" The small girl clenches her fists. She may be tiny but her eyes are menacing.

"Get in line." I look at the bruise on Val's face and I feel my own fists beginning to clench.

Serena turns and looks at me. "I believe we haven't been properly introduced. I'm Serena, the best friend and killer of all bastards who break my girls heart... Well except one. Haven't gotten the chance quite yet. Ya know, post pregnancy and baby delivery and all. And you are?" She extends her hand and I shake it.

"Carter, the 'boy-toy' as everyone keeps calling me."

Val hands Erika back over and looks up at me. She takes my hands. "You're more than that. I just wish I could show it without someone getting hurt.." Sighing, I pull her into my arms.

"Well. Nice to meet ya, boy-toy. I'm rooting for you in the end. Take care of my girl, ya hear?" Serena hugs Val breifly. "I'll see you soon. Gotta go find my husband and son before they wind up in some kinda trouble." Val smiles and nods goodbye.

She looks back up at me and hugs me tightly. "I wish I could show you how much you mean to me and how much I want to be with you... But I can't. We can't be together. I'm sorry.." Tears stream down her face and she releases me before running out the room.

Leaving me alone and broken hearted.

------------

V. K.

"Val!" Michael runs up to me. And to think I thought this couldn't get any worse.

"What do you want?"

"I want to apologize for hurting you. I swear I wont do it again." He steps in front of me and takes my hands in his.

"You always say that. I'm done with it." I pull my hands away from him.

"I mean it this time. I wont hurt you again. I love you Val."

"But I will never love you. Why would you want to marry someone like that?"

"Because I love you, and I love that about you. I dont care if you dont love me. I just want to be with you."

I shake my head. "I need some time alone."

"Of course.." He leans down to kiss me but i turn away from him. He sighs and steps back. "Here.. I have an idea. I'm going to take you out to dinner. I'm going to win you back I swear. And over dinner we can discuss information I know your parents would like. And also some terms to an agreemant of marraige. Okay? I'll pick you up at 7."

Before I can decline, he leaves. Great.

Looks like I'm stuck going to dinner.