One

Maven

   She kneels . Left knee pressed firmly into the marble floor, faded brown locks cover her face. She kneels before me , before the eyes of Norta. I rest on my throne , horribly lacking in fine detail and precious jewels but I cling to it nonetheless .

"Citizens of Norta", I rise from my seat , "I give you -the fallen lightning girl". An uproar insues, seas of Silvers hoop and howl with excitement. Some shout praises to me , others growl harsh words at the harnessed Red girl chained to my side .  A few attempt to get close , spitting on her . breaking their necks just to get close to her.
     Evangeline, my new betrothed, stands at my left . Eyes placed  on Mare , she grits her perfect teeth as she mutters punishing words to herself.  I shot her a look , tugging the leash attached to Mare's collar. She stumbled to her feet as I parade her through my throne room . I quicken my pace forcing her to keep up . She trips over a leg thrown out by one of the High Houses .

   "I seem to have forgotten something. While the lightning girl resides in Whitefire , she belongs to me" I announce. I whirl myself around to face my 'blushing bride' to make sure she hears me loud and clear.

"No one is to touch her without my permission, not one hair on her head , not a prick of her skin . Not even so much as a sideways glance".

    I toss Mare's leash into the hands of a sentinel , "take her to her room. I have private business to discuss" I order. My guard remains silent , my only reply is a simple nod . My attention turns to Mare who is glaring daggers at me , I take notice of her overgrown ragged nails digging into her skin. She trembles yet holds that spiteful attitude . You never disappoint , always the little spitfire.
   "On second thought . Take her to the bath chambers, I want our new pet  to be comfortable in her new home" I smirk.  I pat the top of her head as I would a dog, she takes the opportunity to claw at me .
She lunges for me , teeth bearing like a rapid wolf.  I can't help but smile , my guard tanks in her leash right before she can sink  her teeth into my flesh . She lands flat  on her face .

"Tsk tsk tsk", I wave my finger at her , "that's not part of our deal" I warn.

For a brief moment I see a sliver of a tear leak from the corner of her eye. I see the life beginning to drain , her hope had already begun to disappear.  Aww don't give up now . It's only been one day.

"Until we meet again" I quickly wiped her tear before exiting the room.