Four

~Mare~

Seconds become minutes, minutes into hours, hours into days and so on. God I feel so diminished. I'm hollow, empty inside. My body hurts from the weight of my chains. He claims to love me. He promises this is to keep me by his side. Forever. This will be where I will die. All I will be known for, aside from being the lightning girl, is being Maven's lap dog.

     My existence has been narrowed to the unbearable confinement of this cell where I am served my meals and lay my head. Here is where I live the majority of the time when I'm not being lead around by his royal highness on that damn leash.

    Some nights I make an effort to destroy my 'room' either by tearing apart my hand sewn bedsheets or dismantling my tiny bathroom.  My outburst do not go unpunished, he does not have to lay a finger on me to bring me pain. All he has to do is  humiliate me, repeatedly- publicly.

"His majesty is requesting your presence" a maid tells me.

    She is standing in between my guards who stay with me day and night. She wears a look of great fear beyond that masked look on her face. Behind those eyes I see tears, I hear cries of agony and great suffering. This Red may be in better physical condition than I, nonetheless she is still a slave.
    Against my will I'm yanked out of my shoe box sized cell back into the watchful circle of Silver guards. Two in the front, two in the back. It is my hell square. The unknown Red maid is gone from my sight, suddenly I feel alone.

I hate Silvers. I hate myself even more for allowing so many lives to be lost

     We enter the throne room only to be greeted by a sea of eyes. Silvers gathered together seated in rows of chairs all facing one direction.  Maven stands at the center, he pauses once our eyes meet. Dangerous blue orbs of venom burn into mine, I feel a gravitational force almost willing me to bend to his will. I force myself to look at the marble floor.

Monster, Devil, Liar...

    I'm lead right through the sea of Silvers. Eyes glued to me, I ball my fist as if I could put a fight. Maven smirks disgustingly so as my leash is placed into his hands. He traces a finger along my collar tracing the embroidery. I snarl at his touch, jumping back to get some distance.

How dare you touch me

   He leans into me, tugging ever so gently on my collar. His lips are centimeters from my ear. "Behave" he warns. I chew on my lips to keep from biting  his face, he rubs my back ushering me forward to join him by his side.

"Ladies and gentleman we are gathered to witness a part of history," Maven projects his voice effortlessly, "as king of Norta I have a duty to my country- a large part of my responsibility is to tend to the needs of my people".

So long as they're not Reds

      He  looks down at me, I feel his hands wrap around the latch on my collar. Maven slowly removed my collar, bearing my neck. The collar hitting the floor sounded like broken glass. Silvers nearly fell out of their seats at the sight.
    He draws me in with his arm, lacing it around my waist. "I'd like to introduce to you, ladies and gentlemen , Norta's first Red Queen. My future wife Lady Mare Molly Barrow".

Oh. My.God