Three

~Maven ~

Today is a new day. Last night was meant to be a welcoming celebration for Whitefire's newest resident. But of course, she is putting up her walls. I open my chambers to her, offer her an exquisite meal. My heart still hurts from her refusing to admit that she chose my brother, aside from her unwillingness to hear me out. She dismissed my pain- boldly stated that I have no right to blame her.

     Perhaps she is right.

"Y-your majesty?" A small voice disrupts my thoughts.

   Siting on my marble throne I feel a sense of safety. You see my chair is specially made for me, just as Mare's collar is laced with silent stone, so is my chair. I made arrangements for us to be shielded by outside abilities because though I am in power with the world at my fingertips, there are many who will stop at nothing to destroy me.

Nothing...

"Such disrespect. Rudely interrupting the king while he thinks" I hiss.

    She's meek and quite compact. Her large doe eyes dart back and forth uneasily. She forces herself to speak, "House Samos-,your betrothed's family-"

"Yes I'm quite familiar with house magnetron. What of them?".

"Lord Volo would like to set up a meeting with you and the rest of the Silver Elite to discuss the issue regarding the Reds and..." she can't find the words.

     Instinctively I roll my eyes. No need for her to continue, I know all too well where this is going . House Samos are my allies, they are at my beck and call. They've proven to be of use to me and my quest for power despite their inability to keep their noses in their own business. Still, no Samos is worse than Evangeline. My future bride holds no love for me, nor did she for my brother. She is taylor made for the throne, she, like me, has been brainwashed into chasing after a foolish dream.

Strength, Power

It's all we have ever wanted. We'll die for it, lie for it and if need be, kill for it.

     Though I do not think I could outwardly admit this, I reminisce about the days when Mare and I were freshly engaged. The days when she was Mareena, my lost Silver princess. I often enjoy mental images of us, dancing the night away.

    *Maven's Fantasy*

    I see Mare, she is dressed in a hideously over the top purple and black ballgown, layers upon layers of that goolish makeup. Her warm brown eyes looking into mine.  She leans closer to me, resting her head against my chest as she closes her eyes.
     I wrap my arms around her small frame, whispering sweet nothings into her ears, I say something embarrassingly cheesy but she laughs anyway. She pulls away just far enough to see my face, she says how awful she looks. Mare turns away, too ashamed of herself . With a gentle touch of my hand I cup her chin, redirecting her attention back to me. For a brief moment she stares into my eyes, we both stay quiet.  "Mare" I say as softly as possible. "You're beautiful".

"Yeah right. Not with all this crap on my face".

"I wish they didn't have to paint you up everyday. To be honest I prefer the real you".

She laughs, "that makes two of us".

*End of fantasy *

"They want to know when you're going to kill the lightning girl" she blurts.

"I wasn't" I state.

"Why not, after she murdered your mother and has killed so many Silvers!" The voice of my wonderful betrothed floods my eardrums.

"Ah, my dear Evangeline. To what do I owe this displeasure?"

She cocks her brow, bearing that annoyed expression of her's.

"She's a criminal. There is no reason to keep alive- much less shelter her and dine with her" she continued to speak.

If she is a criminal so am I

"Oh? You have learned of our private meeting?" I fake surprise.

I could have sworn I'd seen steam coming off her suite of armor. So much anger, so much heat you'd think she'd catch on fire.

Not a bad idea...

"She clearly doesn't reciprocate your feelings or want to be your queen. She chose Cal, she chose the guard".

"Enough "I snarl getting mere centimeters from her face. "Firstly, you don't mention that traitor's name, secondly, shut the hell up! You know nothing about Mare or I. And if I were you I'd watch my step- one more crack out of you and she'll take your place".

She freezes momentarily, "you wouldn't replace me...we have a deal!"

"Mark my words 'princess' I will not hesitate to destroy you or that waist of space family of yours".

She glares at me, oddly quiet.

"No one is to touch, look at or speak to Mare without my permission, failure to abide will lead to unpleasant repercussions" .

My hands appear clean but I assure you, they are quite blood stained

"Now, be gone from my sight. You've soiled my vision long enough".