Five

~Maven~

"Your highness you can't possibly be serious," eyes fixated on my 'new' betrothed, "she's a Red, she's a member of the guard and she killed your mother!"

All is true. She is, at this moment, an inactive member of the rebellion. And because of that rebellion she was able to locate and brutally murder my mother and some others. I won't try to pretend that our past of constantly stabbing each other in the back will not complicate our future. I know all too well how deep these wounds are and I know just how hard I will have to work.

Am I a fool? Is my heart so full of emptiness that I forever chase after a woman who loathes me?

You're a lovesick fool, my son

"Sire!" I'm brought back to reality.

I turned my attention to the gentleman who  disrespects my bride. I reach out, catching a handful of his beard. Tiny flames emerge from my finger tips, slowly eating away at the remaining hairs.
He attempts to pull away but I hold him still, staring daggers into his now fearful eyes. I allow my flame to paint his pruning skin a deep brownish black. He bites his lip to hold back his screams. A dangerous glimmer of rage shines in my eyes as I felt myself grow more sadistic. I feel myself wanting to inflict as much pain as possible. Maybe even kill him right here in front of everyone.

My demeanor must have alarmed my betrothed, not enough that she was afraid but enough to feel that she needed to stop me. In the middle of my bone chilling stare down I felt a small hand rest on my forearm. "That's enough Maven"she whispered softly.

(1 hour later)

I've arranged for lunch to be served outside in the royal garden. Today was a beautiful cloudless day with a light breeze, perfect picnic weather.

I wait outside the kitchen where I'd asked Mare to meet me. Quietly I survey my surroundings to pass the time. Finally she arrives, not a smile to be seen on her face nonetheless she came and that's good enough for me.

I give her an assuring smile as I offer her my arm. Of course she shoves past me without so much as a hello but I let it slide.

(Lunch)

"I hope you like potato soup, it's one of my favorites" I handed her a napkin.

She ripped it from my hands, tearing it up and throwing it at my face.

Keep your cool, don't get angry, don't get angry

"Ha ha, is something troubling you there sweetheart?"

She grabbed her soup bowl and chucked it as far as she could, the flying bowl of my favorite soup not only coats a nearby statue but breaks off a piece of it as well.

Breathe Maven

"Now Mare, is that anyway to treat the silverware?" Fake happiness dripping from my tone.

"You are unbelievable" she whispered.

"I beg your pardon?"

"You're going to force me to marry you, you really want to have me that bad that you're going to permanently keep me chained to your side by becoming your wife".

"I-"

"It shouldn't surprise me. After all I am your prisoner and I was sworn to comply with your each and every wish" she forces a smile

"I-its not like that. It's not as simple as me wanting to posses you in any way".

She laughs, "then what, pray tell, is your reasoning and don't say it's because you love me. You have abused that word enough".

But I do. I do love you

"You're my heart". For once she looks taken back by my words.

"A thousand times I've thought of you- of us. What we had and what we lost. A million silent tears I shed wishing for my heart to stop beating just so I could be free from the pain".

"That's bullish-"

I grabbed her hands in mine, "I hurt you in a way I know all too well. Having your heart ripped from your chest, feeling so betrayed, so abandoned by the one who claims to love you. You have no idea how familiar I am with the feeling".

She looks down at her feet. Suddenly too afraid to look in my eyes. "Elara". I nod as I caress her dainty hands, I bring one up to my lips, kissing the back of her fingers.

"Your words are beautiful... but I'm so afraid to believe them," she has tear stains on her eyes, "if I'm your heart ... why would you break me".

She's got me there

"I cannot begin to explain how screwed up and complicated our situation is, nor can I find the appropriate words to express how remorseful I am for damage that I caused".

Those sweet brown eyes of her's stare right through mine. She hears me speaking, yet it feels as though I am talking to a wall.

"I betrayed you, I took advantage of your trust, your heart and your feelings for me. I knowingly broke you into a thousand pieces... all while unintentionally falling madly in love with you".

    I let go of her hands so that I could rise from my seat. Moving over to her side of the table I have repositioned my self on my knees. The tables have turned you see, it is I who know exposes my vulnerability to her. I want her to trust me but more than that I need her to believe me.

"Your forgiveness is something I do not expect overnight and I am more than positive that you will have me jumping through hoops to prove myself worthy enough for you".

I place my hands just above her knees. An intimate touch while keeping it classy.

Believe me, forgive me

"I am human" she whispered.

"What was that?"

She stares directly at me, "I said that I am human. If you want me to believe that you honestly are willing to prove yourself to me than I want you to treat me like a human being".

"That means no more prison cells, torture clickers, collars or public humanitarian sessions. I will not be led down another treacherous path nor will I be forced into a loveless marriage with a man who hurts me".