Chapter One - Nice to Meet You

May 15, 1999
It was an unusually dreary day in Ted's hometown. Rain was pouring down nonstop, the sun was completely hidden, and everything seemed so...empty. He sat down on a tire in an alleyway close to his school, waiting for a specific boy. A few minutes after, he heard feet pounding toward him. The boy he's been waiting for was running toward him, blood staining his shirt. Ted immediately gets up and stands in front of him, pointing at the three older kids in front of him. Ted growls and nears them. "Leave him alone!" the kids looked at each other for a second, then laughed, walking off. "That was a close one, are you okay?" he turns to the boy that was behind him. "U-uhhh....." he panics and runs out of the alleyway. Ted sighs and looks down at the ground, walking home. "At least he's not hurt...right?"
The next day, the boy did not show up. Ted's concern grew as time went by. He turned down a hallway to go to his next class when he sees him again, this time with a cast on his arm. "Oh my god. I'm so sorry, I guess I didn't make it in time." the boy looks up and smiles weakly, getting up and hugging him. Ted hugs him back and smiles, glad to know he's okay. "You saved my life. Thank you so much. I-I'm Chris." Ted smiles and looks at the small boy. "Im Ted!" He introduces himself, walking him home. Chris felt safe around him, like he was accepted for who he was without being harshly judged. That meant more than he would ever realize.