Rewind

Rory had been surprised when Logan had called the very next day to arrange to meet up. She was pretty nervous about being alone with him and his suggestion of dinner had felt a little too intimate so she made her excuses and they settled on meeting for a coffee instead. Now she was waiting for him in a coffee shop in Hartford, wondering what on earth she was doing there. Every time the door opened she felt her heart stop. She had considered bolting several times and just as she was thinking about it again, in he walked.

Logan knew that he needed to see Rory again and soon. He had thought about her all night. He didn't really know what he expected from them meeting up and he certainly wasn't planning to go down the route of pursuing dating again, not yet anyhow. He just felt the need to connect with her and find out what had been happening in her life. Even when they had been in love, above everything else, they had always been friends and he had truly missed having her in his life. He smiled when he saw her waiting at the table for him and walked over.

"Hey, Logan" Rory looked up and smiled at him nervously. "I already got you a coffee," she said as she pushed the cup towards him.

"Thanks! Do you want anything else...anything to eat?" he asked her.

"No, I am fine, coffee is good," she said taking a sip. "So, I was kind of surprised to hear from you so soon".

"Am I too keen?" he smirked as he sat down at the table. "I hadn't intended to meet up so soon either" he admitted, "but I am going to be heading to New York for a few days with my dad soon and I thought it would be nice to catch up before I went away."

"Right" Rory smiled "So, how is your dad? You mentioned yesterday he was sick?"

Logan smiled at Rory. Mitchum and Rory had a somewhat strained relationship but whatever had happened between them, there still remained a kind of mutual respect. "He got diagnosed with a heart condition which resulted in him having to have an emergency triple bypass a couple of weeks ago"

"Oh my god, I'm sorry Logan, is he okay?"

"He's recovering nicely and it sounds like he's going to make a decent return to full health," Logan said "You know Mitchum, can't keep him down...but it's provoked a bit of a change in him. He kind of took it as a warning sign to slow down and he's made the decision to take a bit of a step back from HPG which..."

"Which is where you come in?" Rory finished his sentence for him.

"Exactly"

"And you're okay with that?" Rory asked quizzically "You never wanted that Logan."

Logan shrugged casually. "I never wanted it because I felt like it was being forced on me like I had no choice or say in the matter. I feel a bit different now, I mean, I've grown up a bit over the past few years, I hope" he laughed "and my dad wants to hand over to someone he can trust, which for him, means family. My grandfather worked so hard to build up that company you know, I don't want to see it fall because I was too stubborn."

Rory nodded her head "Well, I guess if you're happy...that's all that matters. It's a great opportunity, most people would kill to work for a company like HPG, it's not like you'll be slumming it" she joked. "So this means a move back to Hartford?"

"Yes! Absolutely. I've already started to look for a place, I was at the realtor's offices yesterday when I bumped into Lorelai and her daughter".

Rory tensed "Right, she mentioned that she had seen you," she said desperately wanting to move the conversation away from where it was heading. "Hartford will be quite a change from Palo Alto I am sure. Tell me about" she asked with genuine curiosity.

"Palo Alto? Well, you're right; it's nothing like Hartford. Despite Stanford being nearby, it's never really developed into being a college town like New Haven – I mean it's too expensive for starters but the campus is also quite far out. Did you know Colin is at grad school there at the moment?"