Pressure

Life had started to pass by in a bit of a whirlwind of wedding planning and arrangements. With so much to do in such a short space of time, Rory was really starting to regret having opted for such a short engagement but she knew that she was pretty fortunate to have people like her grandmother around, who were only too happy to take the reins when the planning all got a bit too much for her. She knew that it would mean a lot to Emily to be involved with the arrangements, so when it came to down to choosing the menu for the meal at their wedding reception, Rory made sure to invite her along.

She met Emily at the Union League Café for lunch while Logan was at work. He was happy to trust Rory's opinions and whatever she wanted to go with would be fine with him. For once, Rory actually looked forward to spending some time alone with the grandmother, it had been a while since they had spent any quality time together. Emily had been far more accepting of the whole situation than she ever would have thought possible and it had definitely brought them closer together in recent times.

"Rory, you look absolutely radiant," Emily said as she greeted her granddaughter when she walked into the brasserie. "I think that being in love must agree with you" she smiled.

"Hello grandma" Rory smiled. "I'm really glad you could come today, I needed some help making these decisions on food and somehow I think that you might be far better qualified than me or mom"

"Well, quite. I'd dread to think what would be served up to your guests if we left it to your mother. Probably fried chicken and Pop Tarts." Emily rolled her eyes.

They took their seat at the table that had been laid out for them and settled in to enjoy a long leisurely lunch. The restaurant brought out samples of the various dishes that they thought appropriate for the event, talking them through what each dish incorporated.

"The food is delicious here Rory, however did you find this place?" Emily asked.

"It was Logan's suggestion," Rory said.

"That boy has excellent taste" Emily said knowingly.

She'd always been fond of Logan. Of course, that opinion changed slightly when she discovered Rory was to be a single mother. Rory had never openly announced Logan as the father back then but everyone had pretty much assumed and Emily wasn't blind – the likeness between father and daughter was remarkable.

After a somewhat long discussion and a pretty intense scoring system on Rory's part, they had finally settled on their menu. The wedding meal would start with an appetizer of 'Souffle de Saint-Jacques et Crevettes' - a New England sea scallop and shrimp mousseline and lobster bisque. This would then be followed by 'Filet de Boeuf Bordelaise' – pan roasted beef tenderloin served with a potato gratin with French green beans and a shallot and Cabernet reduction. Finally, when it came to dessert there was really only one option for Rory – it went without saying that she would choose the only dessert on the menu laced with coffee! The 'Chaud-froid choco-vanille' was a bittersweet chocolate-espresso mousse that was served with warm chocolate sauce, vanilla bean ice-cream and chocolate tuile. It was by far Rory's favorite part of the meal. After they'd made their final choices they sat back enjoying a coffee.

"You look very happy Rory," Emily said as she looked at her granddaughter.

"I am grandma" she smiled. "I feel like I have been given a second chance, you know?"

"I do" Emily smiled and nodded. "And I am very happy that things are working out for you."

After they had finished their coffees, Emily and Rory spent some time walking around the Yale campus in the sunshine, with Rory pointing out exactly where the ceremony would be held. Emily had extremely fond memories of visiting Richard on campus back when they were dating and it was the place that he had proposed to her. It held so many special memories, she was happy that her granddaughter also loved the place dearly.