Chapter 5: Kindness

-Third Person P. O. V.- (Author's Note: I'm keeping it this way for the rest of the story)

"I... I'm sorry!"

Nagito, Hajime, and Chiaki were untangling Mikan from the pile of wires she tripped over and subsequently got wrapped up in.

"You don't have to apologize," Chiaki told her as they freed her head and neck from the wires, "It was an accident. You tripped and got all tangled up. People do that all the time. I think..."

"I don't think it happens often, but it's possible," Hajime added, freeing Mikan's left arm.

"B-But... you don't have to h-help untangle me..." Mikan was trying her best not to fight their touch as they helped her, but it was hard. Not many people have ever helped her in the past.

Nagito shook his head, refusing to accept such a ridiculous idea. "Nonsense, Mikan. Somebody in need of help should receive it. Even though we just met, we still should be kind to each other."

"That's right," Chiaki said in agreement. "Whether you know the person or not, it's still the right thing to do if they're in trouble."

Small tears had formed in Mikan's eyes as they spoke. Hajime sighed. "Don't cry, please. This really isn't worth crying over. You're almost out, anyway." A moment later, Mikan had been freed and the wires were moved to a corner of the AV room where someone was less likely to trip over them. In the back of his mind, Hajime still had a feeling Mikan would find a way.

Once she was freed and standing up again, Mikan immediately bowed, her tears still in her eyes. "Thank you! Th-Thank you so much."

The other three felt a bit embarrassed. "You really don't have to thank us," Hajime told her.

"We were just being nice," Chiaki added. "There wasn't really a reason not to help you."

"I'm just happy that I was able to help someone!" Nagito said with glee.

The tears nearly started flowing down Mikan's face as she bowed again. "You're so nice!"

The three smiled. Though Mikan was making a big deal about it, it really wasn't something to get worked up over. Truly, Mikan was someone who valued kindness greatly. They were glad to show her some.

[><]

There wasn't much in the dining hall other than some tables and chairs, so Nekomaru's group had very quickly moved into the kitchen, which had considerably more in it. The basic appliances were there; a stove, a microwave, and the like. A walk-in freezer had boxes of frozen foods on shelves along one wall while pigs hung from the ceiling. Akane was practically drooling over it.

"You can't eat it raw, Akane," Nekomaru told her. "You'll have to cook it first."

"I know that," Akane said. "But that Yosuke guy or Twogami guy might get mad that I blew off the investigation for a snack."

"It's actually Yasuke," Sonia reminded her. She was wondering how Akane got his name wrong, but not their nickname for Byakuya.

Nekomaru let out a hearty laugh. "Don't worry, we have this covered, Akane. Go ahead. I'm sure they'll understand."

Akane grinned widely. "Hell yeah! I'm starving!" She immediately began to cook up the meat as Nekomaru watched to make sure nothing bad happened.

Meanwhile, Gundam was closely examine the vegetables, specifically the lettuce. Sonia, not particularly interested in seeing Akane cook meat, decided to engage in conversation with him instead. "Hello Gundam," she greeted him.

He was a bit startled, not seeing her walk up to him, but calmed down upon seeing her, as he did not view her as a threat. In his mind, he was the larger threat among the two. "Hello again... Sonia, was it?"

She nodded. "Yes. Sonia Nevermind. I am the princess of the kingdom of Novoselic. I've come here with the title of Ultimate Princess, as I stated before."

Gundam nodded, remembering the information. "Yes, I recall your introduction. You must have much experience in matters of leadership and such. Is that correct?"

"Yes, it is. Though, there is still much more for me to learn before I can become queen." Sonia sighed, remembering all the training that would await her after she returned. "What kind of things do you do?"

Gundam looked to the side, thinking about his life. "My time spent in this earthly realm is focused around myself and the beasts that walk beside me. My Four Dark Devas of Destruction are my most powerful and most trusted among them."

"Your hamsters," Sonia stated. "May I see them again, please?"

Hesitant, Gundam allowed his Devas to appear out of his scarf. Sonia smiled, taking a step forward to get a close look, only for Gundam to step back in response. "My apologies. You cannot get close to me. My body... It is full of poison. A mere touch could instantly kill a mortal."

Sonia looked at him curiously. She did not fully believe the concept, wondering if it really would kill her to touch him. Gundam himself considered the possibilities of the predicament he was presented with. Once again hesitant, his Devas gathered together in his hands and held them at arm's length, allowing Sonia to get a closer look.

Her eyes lit up as she gently stroked her finger down the back of the chubbiest one. She smiled, not showing any signs of pain or discomfort. Gundam was baffled by this. Not only was this girl able to stay this close to him without showing any effects, she was able to touch the Four Dark Devas of Destruction without them reacting negatively. She displays no signs of hostility, nor do the Four Dark Devas sense any danger from her. Perhaps she could be a true comrade.

Not many people were kind to Gundam as he grew up. His mother was the one true angel of his life. She was one of the few sources of kindness for him. His animals were another, and a handful of mortals weren't bitter towards him.

Gundam hoped for kindness here. This was the start of it.