The Body Pt. 1

Song – Yesterday by the Beatles

CHAPTER FOUR

I opened my eyes and a bright light forced me to close them again, why was it so bright? Once my eyes got used to the light I opened them again and looked around, it was the hospital in Hawkins. I was back home. A nurse walked in and my uncle followed behind her "thank God"he said running to my side. "Your okay"he said smiling, I smiled back. We hugged and I felt safe again.

"What happened, how did you find me?"I ask pulling away and sitting up. "You were at the top of the cliff by the quarry"he said, I must have fallen there after I tripped. "And Will? you found him right, is he okay?"I asked, then my uncle looked at me

"Uncle Jim, Where's Will?"I asked getting worried, "we found him last night, when we found you"he said sadly "he was in the lake," he said refusing to look up from the ground or perhaps just unwilling to look me in the eyes. I stared at him in confusion, not willing to look away from him.

He sighed, "we figured he fell off the cliff by accident since it was so dark out" he said like each word was weighted and about to pull him down. "What- what are you saying?"I asked, my heart beated faster and my anxiety increased as he looked at me like he hadn't since he told me my parents and brother were dead. "he's dead, Marilee"he said, tears filled my eyes, but none fell. I stared at him in shock.

"N-no he's not dead," I said quickly, "Marilee–" Jim said stepping forward to hug me. I pushed him back angrily, "No! I-I was just with him," I said as tears fell down my cheeks. "We were at his house, but it was different it was somewhere else! It was it was like home, but it was different!" I said through tears.

"Look in grief and traumatic situations people see things and suppress things"he said trying to calm me. "No! this isn't like that! This isn't like Sara!" I said loudly, his face grew sadder as he remembered what he went through after my cousin died. "He can't be dead Uncle Jim, I was just with him" I said hoping he'd believe me.

"It was him, Marilee," he said standing up and putting his hat on "now I gotta go tell his mom and brother"he said walking to the door, "don't leave till I send someone to get you" he said before leaving and closing the door behind him. I stared at the door hoping he would come back hug me and tell me everything would be okay, but he never did.

After a few hours I was sitting in the hospital bed starring at the white ceiling. I had changed into a long sleeve blue camo shirt and jeans. A nurse had put a cast on my foot, and given me some crutches to use.

I looked over at a white hand drawn card that had "WE MISSED YOU" in big blue crayon written on the front. I smiled knowing it was from the boys and picked it up and opened it. Inside was written:

Marilee, we need to talk to you as soon as possible - Mike

We're so glad You're not dead! - Dustin

We really missed you - Lucas

My smile turned into a frown. How could I possibly face them after this? I heard the door creak open and someone step inside. I turned expecting to see one of the deputies, but to my surprise it was my best friend Jonathan. His eyes were watery and he looked like he had cried all night. Out of all the people my uncle could have sent he sent him.

"I uh told your uncle I'd pick you up" he said quietly. I walked over to him as fast as I could and hugged him, he hugged back tightly as he cried silently.