14.

Since the Accident:
9 months, 25 days
October 2nd, 2010

Cassandra Williams heart was racing as she stood in front of the door to her parents house. She had just sent Ryan away, telling him that she could do this on her own. She appreciated the support but she couldn't lean on him for everything the rest of her life.

She took her sixth deep breath before she finally put her hand up to the door and lightly knocked on the light grey wood.

The two knew of their daughters visit but that didn't make her nerves any less active. She heard the lock click and the handle to the door turn.

Her mother, an average height woman on the heavier side with a large smile, greeted her. "Cassandra." Her bright deep brown eyes seemed to instantaneously fill with tears as she stepped forward to engulf her daughter in her arms.

Cassandra felt her eyes well up as well as she wrapped her arms tightly around her mothers shoulders. It had been months since she had last spoken to her. Her mother tried to call as often as she could but Cassandra would ignore it, instead opting for a simple text message.

The girl would rather make it seem like she was busy and okay than to worry the older woman. However, now that she was with her she realized just how much she needed her.

Tears streamed down her face and she held back a sob, digging her face into her mother's light brown hair.

"I know dear, it's alright. " Mrs.Williams rubbed her daughters back. "Let's step into the house for some privacy okay? Your father can make us something to drink."

The strawberry blond nodded, covering her mouth with her hand after she pulled back from her mother. They stepped into the doorway, the door was closed and locked back into place.

Cassandra wrapped herself back into her mothers arms and began to cry again. She felt her broken heart pulsating, banging against her chest with such a ferocity that it felt as if that was why her body was shaking.

Her mother began to hum a melody to a lullaby that she used to sing her to sleep when she was young. The sound of the tune coming from her mother made her muscles start to relax and her breath began to slow as she rocked back and forth.

When she finally pulled away from her mother Cassandra heard footsteps. She wiped her eyes and looked up to see her father smiling warmly at her. He wasn't a tall man but head taller than average.
His hazel eyes were glimmering in happiness at seeing his daughter.

Without a word he stepped towards his frail daughter and pulled her into a tight embrace.

"I'm glad to see that you're doing better."

Cassandra felt like her eyes were going to begin watering again. "I'm glad I am too." She whispered. She felt her heart break. She was doing better, just not as good as he thought she was doing. She would get there soon, so for now she could allow them to have piece of mind. When the time came that she needed help, she would talk to them about it.

"Alright, let's get you some lunch." Her father patted her back before he pulled back from her and headed towards the kitchen.

"And I would like to know about this officer friend of yours." Cassandra Williams felt her face begin to heat up.

"Maybe in a bit." She said with a nervous laugh.