13.

trigger warning for a little bit of violence

~~

What do you call a seagull that flies over the bay?

Lauren furrows her brows at the note, looking up to smile confusedly at Camila who gestures towards the paper.

I don't know, what? Lauren writes back.

Camila snickers to herself as she hands the note back after jotting down her answer which has Lauren staring at her funnily.

'Read it,' Camila mouths, nodding her head towards the paper once more.

A bagel.

Drawn next to the answer is a very poor rendition of a seagull with a bagel for a body. The ridiculousness of the joke and the fact that Camila is genuinely proud of it makes Lauren break out into giggles, unable to contain her reaction. She catches a quick glimpse of Camila's broad grin, clearly proud that she made Lauren laugh.

"Have I ever mentioned that you're a dork?" Lauren says out loud because they're sitting next to each other in class and there's really no need to pass a note or whisper right now since the teacher hasn't arrived yet.

Camila shrugs. "Maybe once or twice."

"I feel like I need to constantly remind you."

"Hey, I'm only a dork for you."

Pausing for a moment, Lauren pretends to think it over. "That's fine with me. Plus, we wouldn't want everyone knowing that big bad Camila is actually just a softy, right? It would ruin your reputation."

"Excuse you. I'm not a softy. I'm very tough and scary."

Lauren stares at Camila's defiant stance, her arms crossed over her chest and an adorable pout on her face.

"Right." Reaching forward, Lauren pats her palm on the top of Camila's head. "What a sof- I mean badass."

Camila can't hold her frown too long at the sight of Lauren's cheeky expression, her tongue trapped between both sets of her teeth. The girl cracks a grin, just causing Lauren's smile to widen.

"Damn it," Camila sighs with a fond eye roll. "I guess I can only be a softy for you."

"To be honest, I think I'm more than okay with that."

"Really?" Camila asks seriously, eyes slightly widened as she stares at Lauren.

"I– yeah," Lauren replies as she smiles softly at Camila. "Really."

A slap to Lauren's back snaps her out of the intense eye contact she was having with Camila as she jumps in her seat, banging her knee against the underside of her desk.

"What's up, lovebirds?!" Dinah greets, not at all quietly.

"Holy shit, Dinah, you scared Lauren," Camila exclaims as she leans towards the girl. "Are you okay?"

Lauren waves Camila off as she rubs at her sore knee. "Yeah, don't worry about it. I'm fine." The initial pain has already disappeared, and she didn't really hit it all that hard.

"Oh damn, sorry about that, Lauser," Dinah apologizes as her and Tori take their seats in front of Lauren and Camila. "I guess you scare easily."

Gesturing with her head towards the two girls, Lauren scrunches her brows together. "Since when did you two hang out?"

"Since I found out how much this girl–" Dinah explains, throwing an arm over Tori's shoulders, "–and I have in common."

"It's awesome. We already have a hair day planned for this Saturday," Tori says with a grin.