Chapter 4

The First Dance

She hadn't been expecting anything fancy, really. After all, they were two high school seniors who got most of their pocket money from their parents, and have yet to start what would be years of student debts. Point of the matter, money wasn't exactly their best points. So when Declan's car drew to a stop under a tree in what seemed to be the middle of nowhere, Kelsey couldn't help but widen her eyes, giving him a wide-eyed stare.

"Are you planning to kill me and dispose of my body, Declan Reed?" she asked, a hint of laughter behind her voice.

He gave her the sly smile that had proven to be Kelsey's downfall,and popped out of his old car. Quickly jogging over to open her door, she stepped out in her sneakers and jeans, laughing as he swooped in to steal a kiss. "There's something called asking, Lan. Try it sometimes." she teased, as they twined their fingers together. "Where are we going?" she asked for the tenth time, ever since he had stolen her out of their final hour of class to get to this.... wherever this place was.

Declan however, seemed to know very well where they were going. With the confidence of someone who had been here many times, he guided her through a short hike up the hill, and Kelsey gasped when the trees parted to reveal a cliff that hung over a river. But what caught her, was the magnificent view of the sunset.

"Lan?"

"I had to show you this." he murmured, pulling her closer so he could press her back to his chest, wrapping his arms around her waist. He pressed a kiss to the top of her head, and leaned down to whisper in her ear. "My mom used to bring me here when I was younger. It was where she got her inspiration for her work."

Kelsey's breath hitched. It was common knowledge that Declan rarely spoke of his mother, who had passed away from cancer when he was ten. Looking wide-eyed at him, she found it hard to breathe when he looked at her with a look that could only be described as tender. "I know you're afraid, Kay."

"Af-fraid?" she echoed, caught off guard as her voice shook. He had wrapped her in his embrace, and Kelsey's words vibrated against his chest where her cheek was pressed.

"That I'm the star quarterback. I will bet my car that you're wondering why I chose you." he murmured, laughing when he was met with silence. "See, the thing with you Kay, you're such an enigma. First you got me curious with how quiet you were, and then you got me intrigued because you are best friends with the most rebellious girl in school-"

"Megan just has very strong opinions." Kelsey defended by instinct.

Declan laughed, tightening his hold around her. "Megan is nuts. But she's your best friend, so I'll be friends with her. My point is, Kels, something about how you do not judge, and how dedicated to those you love... you're unafraid to love, and that is what I like most about you, I think. I'll be your strength, your faith, whatever you need, whenver you need, this I promise you."

And as the sun set illuminating them upon that cliff on the edges of Redwood Creek, the two of them remained in each other's embrace, swaying to the song that whistled through the forest of redwoods, a tune only heard by them.

---

The campus had always been a rowdy place, where people ran and laughed, played ball and had conversations. Yet within this classroom that twenty-three of us sat in, we all sat in terse silence as we waited on Professor Hastings, who scrutinised us as if we were gnats, holding the scores of our quiz in his hands. He had announced on the day of the quiz itself, a week back that the marks would be worth 5% of our overall grade. The announcement had just made Declan immediately break out in cold sweat, but I was sure he would be fine. Ayah had bemoaned for days that she had flunked it, so next to me, she too wrung her fingers in anxiety as the professor cleared his throat.