Chapter 18

The road which Declan had taken from the lake soon became familiar, and it wasn't long before he drew to a stop at the entrance of our high school grounds. The grounds were empty, school was out for the year end Christmas and New Year holidays, which made the building oddly quiet, a sight I was not used to. We had spent a large part of our years here, and some of my best memories with Megan, Grant and Declan had been here, along with some of my worst.

As Declan opened the door for me, I couldn't seem to tear my eyes away from the clock at the highest tower, a wistful smile on my face, until I hear the telltale click of the door closing behind me.

"Why did you bring me here?" I finally asked, no longer able to contain my curiosity. He smiled, the smile i held so dearly upon his tanned face. While dark hair and sparkling eyes was a common combination among us, it was made stunningly handsome on Declan Reed, and my heart skipped a beat as he took my hand. Even after a few years, he still had the same effect on me, and my traitorous heart would always respond to him.

Without a word, he tugged at me, and pushed open the gates, much to my surprise. "How did you get the keys to go in?"

Over his shoulder, Declan flashed me a boyish grin and winked. "It pays to be friends with the groundskeeper."

I laughed despite myself and the turmoil in my head. Even as a teenager back in high school, Declan had been a charismatic boy who won the hearts of everyone. It was no wonder he was the heart throb of school, and the teacher's pet of everyone, yet no one could ever seem to hate him.

Following his lead, he brought us to the main halls where we had our lockers. I remembered the first day after we had gotten together, where I had to deal with the glares of girls like Vivian as Declan had walked me to class, and to lunch. We had spent basically every minute we could in school together, until after we had broken up. Then, my only solitude had been the lone table under a tree outside of the lunch hall where Megan had been my only companion.

Our footfalls echoed in the empty hallways as  we walked, with me still trailing behind Declan until he stopped in front of the auditorium of our school. We rarely used the place, even our pep rallies were held in the basketball court. I frowned at Declan, raising a questioning brow.

"Trust me."

Before I knew it, he had closed both of his hands over mine, enveloping my vision in darkness. I heard the door of the auditorium scrape open. Declan nudged me forward, and I blindly started walking forward with my hands outstretched before me. My fingers brushed against the walls of the hallway, before it met a wooden surface. I cocked my head as he stopped behind me. A couple of footsteps walked past before I felt the surface swing open, and he began to led me forward again.

"Who else is there, Lan?"

"Don't worry, silly, it's just us." I immediately recognized Megan's voice, but her words made me frown.

"Us?"

"And me, she means."

"Ayah?" 

"Declan told Grant, who told Jamie who told me that you needed a little nudge. Just trust him. We'll be around."

It was all I heard from my two friends, before their footsteps hurried away. 

"Careful now, steps." Declan murmured in my ear, his breathe on my earlobe sending tingles down my spine. I slowed down, following his guide to take one, two, three steps up. My footsteps suddenly sounded as if they were echoing in a large room, Declan's presence turning into a comforting presence behind me. He suddenly stopped, and I felt his hands loosened around my head, before light struck my adjusted eyes again, making me wince at the brightness.