Chapter 12

Early mornings had been a norm for me, ever since I was a child and Harrington House had been around. Dad and Seeley had to deal with its breakfast crowd and in the midst of their getting ready, I had always, somehow been jolted awake. Sleeping past noon was never a luxury for me. So imagine my surprise when my eyes finally opened that day, and I came to the slow realization that the sun was bright and high in the sky as I woke up.

But the bigger surprise, was the heavy weight around my waist. It took awhile before what had happened sunk in, and I remember that it was Declan's arm around me. Unsure if he was awake or not, I gingerly moved, only to hear him groan, his arms curling tighter to pull me closer towards his chest, a vise grip around my camisole cladded waist that I wore to sleep with my shorts. His leg slipped between mine, and I smiled as his fingers found mine, and proceeded to grip them tightly.

"Good morning, sunshine. Ready for the show?" his sleepy voice murmured. I could feel his breathe tickling the back of my neck, causing me to muffle a laugh.

"Ready for breakfast, more like. I'm starving." I replied. He chuckled.

"Well, it's no Harrington pancake, but I got the hotel's breakfast buffet spread, and it's waiting for us downstairs. Get dressed sweetheart, and we'll get you fed." He propped himself up on his elbows as he spoke, and when I turned to lay on my back, I was greeted with Declan's tousled hair falling all over, and a sleepy grin which was making my heart go double time, that I forgot how to speak for just a moment. 

---

It was noon by the time we emerged from the hotel, just as the cab Declan had hired rolled up to the main doors of the inn. I had brought along with me my lace black, baby doll dress. It was just short enough to not be too formal, but dressy enough for a matinee show which Declan had gotten us tickets for. I had tied the sides of my hair up in a braid, and made a circlet. My silver strappy heels made the hall echo with my steps as I entered the main lobby of the David Geffen Hall in Lincoln Center, cautiously looking around at the many people milling about as Declan guided me in with his palm at the bottom of my waist.

"This is... huge." I couldn't help myself from exclaiming beneath my breathe.

Next to me, my boyfriend chuckled, grinning when I turned to look at him. "They are the largest philharmonic orchestra in New York, so I'm not surprised." Before he could continue however, his face shifted into a tight look. Confused, I turned, and my heart skipped a beat when my eyes landed on a well dressed, tuxedo wearing gentleman who met my eyes just as I looked over.

Appearing to gloss over me however, his attention seemed more riveted by Declan standing next to me, and in no time at all, the gray-haired gentleman had made his way over, a glass of whisky in hand as he stopped right in front of us. To his credit, Declan's eyes had locked on the man upon his approach to us, and had not left his yet.

I had only ever seen him once, when we were both still upperclassmen in high school, but it was hard to forget a distinguished looking man like Alexander Reed.

"Father." Declan greeted in a tight tone, his whole body coiled like a tense spring.

"Declan. I didn't expect you to use the tickets you were given for a matinee show. Trust me, the night lends a more glamorous aura to the whole performance." the elder Reed responded smoothly, as if I was not around at all.

"Yet, you're here." was Declan's short reply. 

Alexander Reed shrugged. "I had no choice. I'm to fly to Beijing tonight for another job, and I won't be back for a month at least."

"Wow. And I'm only getting to know now." 

"Don't worry, son. Telegraphic transfers can be done anywhere with internet, and the firewalls in China aren't that strict." he replied, taking a swig of his whisky. At the back of my mind, I marvelled at just how clueless the elder Reed can be when it came to parenting skills. "I do hope you and your friend here enjoy the show."

For the first time since he had arrived, the eyes so identical to Declan's in color, yet so different in looks and warmth, flickered over to me unconsequentially, before the elder Reed took his leave without another word. Instinctively, I turned to look at Declan, and sighed as I placed my palm on his arm, over the black button-down shirt he had wore with his silver pants. "Lan?"

The silence seemed almost forever, before he turned his eyes over. To my surprise, it was filled with the warmth I was so familiar with, despite coming into such close proximity with the father he was never too sure if he should hate or ignore. "Let's go." he murmured, smiling as if nothing had happened.

But I hated leaving loose ends untied. "Lan, we can leave if you want to. Being to New York in itself is-"

"No, we're going in. Besides, he's sure to get his box seats, while we got front row. There isn't much chance of running into him again."

"And you're fine knowing he's just there in the crowd?" I asked gingerly, hesitant still.

Declan however, flashed his signature boyish grin, and pressed me closer to press a kiss to my forehead. "Look sweetheart, as much as he's an absent father and one that practically uses money as my nanny, I'd really rather he not ruin your birthday trip. Besides, what's important is that you're around me. Letting his presence chase me out of this hall isn't worth it."

I peered at him, trying to ascertain that he was really alright with it, before finally giving in and allowing him to usher us in, just as the gong signalled the time for us all to look for our seats.

True to Declan's words, we got front row seats, so close to the stage I could see the beads of sweat on the foreheads of the orchestral members if I squinted. He gingerly seated me, handing me the wrap I had brought along, before taking the seat next to me. A loud announcer reminded us all to silence any communication devices we had, and Declan's fingers twined around mine just as the lights dimmed, and the very first notes of the orchestra began.

I had began my journey with music at a young age, yet after the death of my mother, all I ever did was scour the internet for performances like this. My favorite pianist and composer was from South Korea. Yiruma's pieces evoked a sense of piece. I had laughed when the rest of the world only discovered him after he was rumored to be the song in the Twilight saga, where vampires sparkled and was 'vegetarian' in their sense of the word. Because I had known him since long before.

As the notes of the well harmonized orchestra echoed throughout the cavernous halls of the Lincoln Center, I would've missed my phone buzzing had it not been on my lap. Enraptured by the music, I almost didn't want to pick it up, yet when my eyes caught sight of Seeley's name, something in me told me to. Knowing my overprotective big brother, he was probably calling just to check that Declan had not done anything stupid, but I decided against making him worried, and so tapped on Declan's shoulder to tell him I was taking the call, before heading out to the side wings, before sliding the icon.

"Seeley? This had better be good, I'm in the mid-"

"Come home, Kels. Dad's been sent to the hospital, and it isn't good."