Chapter 10

Wrapped up in thick layers of clothing to protect ourselves from the cold weather of early December, I grinned as I saw the results posted online, through the screen of my phone. Ayah, Declan and I sat huddled in The Pudgy Moo, each of us with our own screens as we anxiously awaited for the results of the final test we had taken just two weeks prior.

"How did you guys do?" I quickly asked, turning over to attempt to peer at Declan's screen. He quickly angled it away from me, defiantly raising his brow at me.

"You first."

"Hey! Not fair, I-"

"Kelsey!" The high pitched squeal was quickly followed by me getting swept out of my seat by a monster dressed in an oversized pink coat, swinging me halfway around before I was set back down on my feet, and my eyes finally could see the face of my bronzed skin, superbly curled hair best friend, Megan Scott.

"Megs! You didn't say you were back!" I exclaimed, eagerly jumping on her as we both hugged each other so tightly, our eyes might have burst from our sockets if we weren't careful. Behind her, I could see someone shifting, but only noticed who it was when Megan released me from her hold. "Grant! You're back too!"

"Grant offered to drive me, else I would be stranded in UCLA still looking for bus tickets back." Megan replied sheepishly. I rolled my eyes as I laughed, completely unsurprised. Megan had always been the queen of last minute planning.

Grant grinned, but moved to greet Declan, the two exchanging man-hugs and fist bumps before Grant gestured at Declan's still scarred leg. "How have you been?"

Declan shrugged. "It's been... okay. I ace-d my finals in Hoffman, of course." He responded with a cheeky grin. I gave an exasperated huff. 

"It's not fair, I'm telling you. He's always scoring with half the effort he puts in to study." I complained, and then suddenly realized we were still standing, and that Ayah was still opposite us.

"Oh! Megs, I have to introduce you. This is Ayah, she's been my best friend in Hoffman." I turned to the dark brown haired girl who sheepishly gave a grin. "Ayah, this is Megan. I've told you all about her!"

"All good things, I hope?" Megan asked with a cunning grin. It was one that Ayah easily recognized with a smirk. 

"I'll tell you in secret." she responded. I rolled my eyes, running a hand through my own brunette locks. "

"Not even five minutes in and I've got my two best friends against me. What a wonderful start to the Christmas holidays."

"Don't worry, baby. I'm on your side." Declan suddenly piped up, to which my cheeks immediately flushed when Megan squealed and Grant's jaw dropped.

"Wait, hold everything what?! What did I just hear? Declan Reed, explain!" Megan started. I quickly grabbed her by her arm just as she was about to stalk to Declan, who was smart enough to hide behind Grant.

"Hold your horses, Megs! I'll tell everything if you'll just give me a chance!"

"You could've called me Kelsey Lee Harrington!" Megan whirled to glare at me. "You have alot  of explaining to do young miss!"

"I'm your age, seriously. And Seeley is gone to somewhere again, and Dad is at work so if you would just come over, you'll find out in a quick jiffy! Ayah, you coming?" I asked, turning to the other. She however, shook her head, as she collected her stuff. 

"I've got to go back, we're putting up the Christmas tree today and the kids want all of us back. Even Jamie had to take half day off from work to get home because Hank is a brat." Ayah made a face. I laughed, and waved her off, watching as she pushed her way out of the clean milkshake bar, before turning to Grant and Declan, who were in a conversation.