Chapter 15

They say that the worst crying one can do is when one lies in bed. With one hand clasped over the mouth to muffle the noise, tears would wet the pillow your head lay on, its dampness a reminder to all that pained and hurt you. Your heart would be breaking as you lay there, with your other hand over your chest as you felt it breaking within you.

The next morning, I had woken up with a pounding headache, and had went down the stairs to find Seeley in the kitchen. Dad had been well enough to sit up with us at the breakfast table, and as I took my seat and watched as Seeley poured me a glass of orange juice, a sense of nostalgia filled my heart. How often had I taken this scene for granted? That Dad would forever be around?

"Pumpkin?" 

Dad's voice broke my train of thought. I started a little before turning to him with a smile, my chest aching a little when I saw his sunken cheeks. The weeks had been harsh on him ever since his condition had taken a turn for the worst, but he always put on a strong front for us. Typical of him to not want to worry his two children. "What is it Dad? Do you want more tomatoes?"

He shook his head, giving his usual throaty chuckle. "I'm good. Surprisingly full after that slice of bread your brother made."

Seeley laughed and winked. "That's cause I'm a good cook. That's why you hired me to work at Harrington House didn't you?"

Dad laughed. "More like I didn't have a choice son." And then he paused, as if contemplating his words before picking up the other hand that wasn't on my hands, and patted my brother's arm. "But you did good, son. You did good. I... know you've had many dreams, but you've put them on pause so you could help your old man out. Do me a favor and go chase those dreams, yeah?'

"Dad..." I couldn't help but speak up plaintively, not liking the way he sounded.

Instead however, he just turned his gaze on me, and squeezed the hand he had in his own. "And you, Kelsey Harrington. You would never admit it, but after so long, you're still very much effected by your mother's death, and how you weren't around during it, aren't you?"

"I'm not-"

"I'm your father, baby girl. I know you." he murmured, in a tone that bore no argument. I swallowed my words, and let him continue. "Don't let it dictate your life. You're... so, so talented. Just like your mother." 

"Dad, don't." I croaked, my voice cracking at the finality of his words. It was inevitable, we knew it. But even so, my heart screamed in denial. When I looked up at Seeley, I could see the tears I felt mirrored in his own eyes. All our lives, it had been the both of us plus our father. The very idea that he would be gone soon struck fear and despair in our hearts, but when Seeley's gaze met mine, I knew that he thought the same as me - there was nothing either of us could do about it, and the helplessness of it all was the worst part of it.

"Give yourself a chance, pumpkin. Try it out there. I know people will love you just as much as we do." he paused, and then gave a grin. "Just as much as Declan does."

I widened my eyes, breathing in deep to clear my throat before asking. "What do you mean?"

"Give that boy a chance too, sweetheart. I can see that his heart is in the right place." 

Without the words to reply to my father, the silence fell until Seeley cleared his throat. "Alright, Kels you help me wash up, and then I'll have to head over to open up the House for lunch service, okay?"

Dad retired to the living room couch where Karen made him comfortable, and Seeley headed off to open Harrington House. When I peeked in, I saw Dad leaning in his chair in front of the television, but he seemed to be drooping off to sleep again. Smiling tenderly, I slipped in and propped his head up, only to bite my lip when his eyes fluttered, and a smile curled his lips upwards when he registered who it was.