No Ideas

Your POV:

I watched my son enjoy his party. "Isn't it sad when they graduate?" Amy asked.

I smiled. "It is. I've got 2 more though, you have 1." 

"Yeah and he's done next year." She sat next to me. "Then we'll have an empty nest." 

"You want another one? Colton is a great kid. Pain in the ass sometimes but great."

She laughed. "Tempting but I'm good with my 2." She looked at Ryan. "Even if they aren't my little boys anymore." 

I nodded. "They may be 8 feet tall and off to college but they'll always be our little boys." AJ walked over. "What's up giant?"

"Funny." He said. "Just wanted to come over and say, you got chicken. Nice touch mom."

"I know my sons," I said. "Now stop talking to your boring mother and enjoy your party?"

"My mother? Boring? Never." He said. Amy smiled. 

He ran off to his group and I sat with Amy.

"Mommy?" 

"Yes, my sweet girl." I picked Sara up and sat her on my lap. 

"Is AJ gonna leave forever?"

"What?"

"College. He's coming back right?"

"Yeah." I said. "He'll come back."

"Good. I'd miss him too much." 

I smiled. "I would too. Don't tell him though you know how he gets." 

The night went on. I had a surprise for AJ, I just had to find him.

"AJ!" I grabbed him. "Can you come with me?" 

He nodded and we walked outside. "What's up?"

"I have something for you. You're old enough now to make your own decisions and to know." I put the envelope in front of him. "Everything that's in there is about your birth parents." I said. "Names, ages, relatives, address. Phone numbers. Everything." I said.

"I don't want it." He said.

"AJ. I never wanted to know my father. But I met him and now look. You don't have to go live with them or call them mom and dad, but I almost lost out on knowing who I really was. I can't let you miss that."

He looked down. 

"Just think about it. Ok?"

He nodded. "Sure." He went back inside.

"His parents?" Mal asked. "Rough."

"He thinks they never wanted him. I can't let him live his life thinking that." 

"They did want him?"

"They were 16 when AJ was born." I said. "Knew that keeping him wouldn't be the best thing for him so they gave him up. AJ spent 4 years thinking they never wanted him and that no one would ever want him."

"Then he met you guys." Mal said. "Now he just thinks they don't want him." 

"Exactly." I sighed. 

"I'll talk to him."

"NO!" I said. "You aren't allowed to talk to him till AFTER he finishes college."

"Why?" 

"I don't want you giving him any ideas." I said. 

"Jerk."

"College dropout."

"TAKE THAT BACK!"

"Is that what UCLA said when they found out you were leaving?" I walked back into the party.

"You asshole."

"But I'm an educated asshole."