❦ GIRL ON FIRE

THE morning once again brought Hope no satisfaction. She had come to the conclusion that even though she was fond of staying up all hours of the night, waking up in the morning would never be fun for her. Her only solace came in the form of Kira Yukimura who despite her awkward nature was actually a very nice person. Since they were technically the new girls, their lockers had ended up beside each other. Hope was greeted mostly every morning with a kind smile.

Hope's solace was short-lived, for it was gone the moment she saw Ethan and Aiden pulling into the parking lot on their fancy motorcycles. She mumbled a quick and probably incoherent "I have to go." to Kira before angrily making her way into the parking lot. In the time it had taken her to walk there, Stiles and Isaac had already appeared beside Scott.

"-- the two of you holding Derek's claws while Kali impaled Boyd. In fact, I don't know why we're not impaling them right now." Isaac was saying.

Aiden's eyes turned an icy blue and flashed his fangs at Isaac with a low growl. "Want to try?"

In an instant, Hope's fist collided with the side of Aiden's face and he was sent to the ground clutching his jaw in pain. She looked down at him with a satisfied smile. "I do."

Scott raised his eyebrows at the twins while grabbing onto Hope's wrist to hold her back from punching Aiden again. "I'm sorry but clearly they don't trust you, and neither do I."

The four teenagers brushed past the twins, and with a smirk Hope roughly hit her shoulder off of Aiden's as she walked past him. He glared at her.

Feeling slightly better, Hope returned to her locker where Kira was still standing. The girl was struggling with all of her books, and Hope moved to grab them from her before she spilled them on the ground.

She stopped when she noticed that Scott was watching the new girl with a profound curiosity.

"Why don't you just ask her out already Scott." Hope said low enough so that Scott would be the only person that heard her.

The alpha seemed caught off guard as he looked up at Hope with a startled expression. She raised her eyebrows before turning around and walking away with Kira walking right beside her.

In math, Hope was greeted with the not so pleasant surprise of Aiden rejoining the class. Apparently, they were taking the whole going back to high school thing seriously.

Halfway through the block, Hope was interrupted from her equations by Stiles who was waving frantically in the window of the door. She quickly asked to use the bathroom and joined him in the hallway, along with Isaac, Allison, and Lydia.

Stiles told them quickly that William Barrow, a man that had tried to kill a bus full of children, had escaped from the hospital and was believed to be roaming the halls of Beacon Hills High.

"Barrow went after kids with glowing eyes? He said those exact words?" Isaac asked as they walked down the hallway.

Stiles nodded, speaking quickly like usual. "Yeah. And no one knows how he woke up from anesthesia. Just that when they opened him up, they found a tumor full of live flies, which in any other circumstance would be all kinds of awesome."

"Did you say flies?" Lydia said suddenly. She had stopped moving at the words and was twiddling her thumbs. "All day I have been hearing this sound. It's like this buzzing, exactly like the sound of flies."

With a sudden thought, Stiles took off at a run and Hope followed behind him until they quite literally ran into Scott who was standing outside of Mr. Yukiumura's classroom.

"Scott where have you been?" Stiles asked and the alpha gave him a puzzled look.

Hope turned around at the sight of Sheriff Stilinski and his deputies leaving through the front door of the school. "The police are leaving." She said before looking up at the two boys. "Why are the police leaving when Barrow's here?"