Chapter 1

Brinnng, the alarm clock in my head went off. I got up sleepy-eyed and tired. I swung my feet from the bed and tip-toed out of my room. The house was dark so I turned on a light switch in the cramped hallway and headed to my mom’s room. I opened her door and walked over to her motionless body except for the heavy breathing. I gently shook her and whispered, “Mom, it’s time to get up”. She grunted and told me told me five more minutes. I shrugged my shoulders and walked out. I went to the bathroom and undressed. I made the water warm enough to get in. Before I stepped in the tub, I looked at my blurry reflection in the dusty mirror.

    I had dark brown hair with light brown eyes and a small mouth with thin lips. My eyebrows were too thick and bushy. I was short and skinny. I looked away and got in the tub. Even though, I heated the water up, it was icy cold. I shivered but I was used to it now. My mother and I had been living like this ever since dad left: 5 years ago. We adapted to our situation and always tried to make the best out of it. I scrubbed my face and washed my hair. There were thought invading my mind, but there was one that stuck out: Today was transport day. I was going to be leaving my mom. I was one of the two that got drafted into Project SOLAR from Australia.

   Project SOLAR was a team of 12 kids over the age of 14 years old. They are chosen to fight for the Earth from invading planets. Two kids are chosen from each of the 6 continents: North and South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia. I remember the day I had received the letter in the mail. My mom and I sat down together and I read it aloud. “Dear, Kelly Osbourne and Parents, We have some very exciting news. You are chosen to participate in a group called SOLAR this year. SOLAR is project formed by Connie Harris(vice president of the United States of America). It is to ensure the safety of our planets from invaders. As you know from recent reports, there has been a threat from the planet Victori. For this reason, we would like for you to join us. Please send or call back at the forwarding address.

   This letter will self-destruct in 120 seconds. Thank you for your time.” I finished. I ran to the window and threw it out and it blew up into tiny pieces. Of course, my mom called and signed me up. If I joined they would take care of my family, I had to do it. My mom hollered from downstairs telling me to hurry. I jumped out of the tub and put on some clothes. I decided on long blue jeans and a red tank top. I walked to the kitchen where I saw my mom cooking something.

  “Hey mom!” I ran over to her and kissed her on the cheek. My mom was beautiful woman with blonde hair and blue eyes. She was tall and slender with a rockin’ body. I was the total opposite of her, taking my dad’s features. My dad was good-looking but his looks are meant for a boy, not a girl.

   “Hey honey. Remember, your transport is at 10:00 and it’s already nine. So you’ll have to eat your breakfast fast.” She told me. She made eggs and bacon, my favorite. I started grubbing on the delicious food. Did I mention my mom was a great cook? I saw my mom stare at me and I turned red with embarrassment. “Sorry!” She exclaimed. “I just don’t know how I’m going to function without you. You know, you’re my bestfriend.” I nodded and continued eating.

   “Listen, you always have time to drop out if you want” She suggested. I looked out her and swallowed the contents in my mouth. “Mom, I can’t drop out now” I continued, “We can’t keep living off scraps! This apartment is getting too small for the both of us. “I stood up and hugged my fragile mom.

“You’re right. Are your bags packed? Oh, I’m going to miss you so much!” and she with that, she scurried off. I walked around our small two-bedroom apartment. It was funny, I always hated the place but I think I’m going to miss it the most.

“Ready to go?” My mom asked standing next to the open door. I walked over to her and smiled.

“Totally!” I shrieked and we were on our way.