Chapter 4

I joined my friends outside at the courtyard. It was surrounded by a huge forest and had logs all over. They waved at m and I smiled back.

“What took you so long?” Sahara asked me.

“I guess I was the only one who answered long response” I explained. They all told me they just put one to two word answers. We sat down at a circular table telling jokes and eating the snacks that popped up.  On the other side of the courtyard, Kraun and Leon were shouting at each other.

“What’s going on over there?” wondered Eli. There was a group of people forming around them.

“We won’t find out if we stay here” Nigel remarked getting up from the table, we followed him.

“Fuck you” Leon blurted out. I looked over at Kraun who was turning red.

He growled, “Say one more word and I swear I’ll--”   He was cut off by a deafening whistle. We all looked around to see who it was, but we couldn’t see anything. Everyone was on the floor with their hands to their ears, the sound was horrible. The whistling finally stopped after thirty seconds (even though, it seemed like five minutes). I got up and looked around, I was confused. Then right before my eyes a big black thing fell from the sky. Everyone stared at it. It had human features but moved like a robot.

“See ya!” Nigel croaked. He grabbed my hands and we got a head start. Right after, Eli was behind me with Sahara.  We ran for safe spot while everyone just stood there watching it. The unthinkable happened:  the robot’s eye shot open and rays of fire came from its eye.

 Everyone ran and screamed around. The robot was now running with fire from its eye. Nigel found a small cave near the forest and we hid in it. “What is that thing?” Eli managed to get out. He was breathing harder than the rest of us. “Not sure” Sahara said.  I thought about it for a moment. Hadn’t they said almost everything was going to be tested? Or it that a fragment of my imagination? I kept silent while watching everyone try to save their life. I felt guilty having a place to hide when they didn’t.

“Ahh!” cried Kraun. He was burned in the leg. He was limping to safety when the robot appeared behind him and swallowed him whole. I closed my eyes shut and Sahara screamed shortly before someone covered her mouth. I started to cry. Though, I opened my eyes when I heard a pitchy cry for help.

It was Saiyak. She started to run and robot spun around and he was closely behind her. I saw the fear in her eyes. Seeing something like that triggered something in me: Bravery. I got up and sprinted towards at full speed. “Over here!” I shouted out her. She hid behind me; I could feel her feet shaking. I braced myself for whatever happened next. The robot stopped in front of me and closed it eyes. A few seconds later, the stomach opened revealing Kraun. I held my hand out and he took a hold of it and climbed out.

“Thanks” he mumbled. The robot flew back where it came from and the othere came out from hiding. Sharon came running to us. I looked around for my friends until I spotted Connie Harris standing on top of the roof. She nodded her head and vanished.

 Nigel, Eli, and Sahara came up to me and hugged me. Eli looked as if he was crying and hugged me tightly and threatened to kill me himself if I ever pulled a stunt like that again. I laughed so hard and so did Sahara.

“Everyone that was test but as you can see only Kelly passed” Sharon informed us.  I started to blush. Nigel picked me up and everyone high-fived me. This was the first time I ever got so much attention and quite frankly I enjoyed it. My victory came to end when Sharon told me Connie Harris wanted to see me. I followed her and left my friends behind.

 We walked up a corrider and reached a door that had two infinity symbols on it. Sharon placed her hand and eye up to a scanner. It spoke up with a woman’s voice. “Sharon Wheeler of America. ID number 246392. Please Verify” Sharon spoke very clearly and said “Ducky”. I giggled, it was weird password to choose.  “Access granted” and the doors opened up to stairs. Sharon climbed onto one and it started to move upwards. I jumped onto the steps also.