I Arranged A Duel With The Second Prince

No. Nonononono no no. NO. I must be dreaming. No, I must be having a nightmare. Why would I be here on the day of their "Fated Encounter"? Much less singing in a field of flowers without any shoes? Attracting their attention and getting in their way was the last thing that I wanted to do, yet here I am. Attracting their attention, and getting in the heroine's way. Suddenly, the sun didn't seem quite as warm and neither the flowers as vibrant.

Is this... my fate? I suddenly felt sick, and I swayed unsteadily. "Nee-sama!" Cal exclaimed and grabbed ahold of my arm to help steady me. I flinched away. Would this hand... be the same one that will one day condemn me and my family to death? Will this person... be the one to destroy my life? No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get rid of the insecurities swirling inside of my head. No! Cal is my cute little brother! He would never kill me! One part of my head screamed. The other side tried to urge me away. Run away... before it is too late. Before anyone else gets hurt... run away... The thought reverberated inside of my head. Run away... run away... run away... I crouched down while clutching my head. I felt like screaming... my head was splitting apart... run away... trust... kill... love... in the end, who am I? Am I Adeline, the girl reincarnated as Serena, fighting against another's destiny, or am I Serena, the girl who grew up with a loving family and is destined to die no matter what? I don't know anymore! WHO AM I?!

I suddenly felt a sweet smelling scent waft up my nose and I started to feel myself calm down. Breathe in, breathe out. Repeat. I sniffed the scent again. Chamomile, I thought to myself. A tea leaf commonly used to relieve anxiety or stress. I could feel my muscles relaxing and I let go of my ears, using my hands to wipe the tears running down my face. I felt myself being pulled up into a warm embrace and I relaxed. Staying like that until I had totally calmed down and I could face the rest again. I took in a deep breath, and stepped away from the warmth that was cocooning me. I looked up, surprised to find that the one doing so was Asher. The surprise must have shown on my face, because Asher smiled sadly.

"Someone that I... once knew, used do this when I was younger and a crybaby. It worked every time," he told me. I smiled up at him, thankful for the comfort.

"Thank you," I whispered.

He beamed back at my response. "Anytime, princess." I didn't bother with the nickname. He deserved at least that much. I'd allow it, just this once.

I turned towards the others, ready to face their scorn and annoyance, but all that I found was concerned gazes. The only one who didn't was the heroine who had a complicated look on her face, one that I couldn't decipher. I bowed towards them, my face red in embarrassment. "I am very sorry about my disgraceful display back there, and I thank you for your patience and concern."

Jared raised an eyebrow, "I didn't think that you were the type to apologize." He said.

I frowned, "I apologize only when I'm in the wrong. And what did you mean by the type?" If he said that I was the spoiled princess type, trying to avoid being a villainess or not, I was going to pound him.

"You seem like the stubborn, slightly foolish, and slightly unyielding type. You seem to do whatever you want, but you have a caring heart deep down. Deep, deep down. Like at the bottom of the ocean down. Or more like the core of the earth dow-" I smacked him. Then I froze. Oh, god no. There's no way that I just smacked the super arrogant second prince of my country. No way. Right?... I am officially going to die.

"Oww! But I said that you were a good person!" he whined. "And is this how you treat your savior? That chamomile was mine, you know. It is said to have calming properties so I let you use it. You should be bowing down on your knees thanking me! And yet you had the audacity to slap this prince's beautiful face!" His face immediately turned red after realizing his tongue slip. Everyone in the meadow suddenly froze. And then... we all burst into ground rolling laughter.

"Haha hah ha ha... If the girls at the balls ever say that you are a cool, dreamy Prince Charming ever again, I will laugh right in their faces!"

"Bwhahaha ha ha... idiot! This is what the prince is like with his guard down? Pfft."

"Hahaha ha ha haa... just how narcissistic can you get? And YAAS idiot, I am allowed to slap you when you are being unreasonable."

"What?" He asked looking stunned. "No, you can not! I'm the prince!"

"Can too!"

"Can not!"

"Can too!"

"Can not!"

"Can not not!"

"Can to!"

"Exactly!" I exclaimed in triumph. The prince looked confused until it suddenly dawned on him.

"I take that back!"

"You can not!"

"Yes I can!"

"You're not allowed to go back on your word!"

"Nuh, uh! Yes I can, I'm the prince!"

"No you can't!"

"Yes I can! How about this, let's settle this matter with a duel!"

"Fine!"

"Fine!"

""Humph!""

We both turned our backs to each other, not wanting to look at the other person's face. Who knew that behind that princely facade was such a childish idiot. There's no use in trying to have a civilized conversation with him, that stubborn bastard won't listen to anything I say.

Ehhh? Why are you guys still laughing so hard? I know that the narcissistic comment was funny, but was it that hysterical?

...

And in all of the commotion, I accidentally forgot the all-important fact that... I was currently trying to avoid them... and not leave behind a strong impression of me... and that I have achieved neither. Oh, well, I'll worry about this another time.