Chapter 6: Respite

The Border of Lothlorien

The descent from the mountains gave the company little trouble, and the landscape quickly shifted from barren crags to green fields, dotted with evergreen trees and carrying the scent of blooming flowers. The babble of a nearby stream could be heard, its peaceful sound lulling many of the company into a state of ease. Gerithor remained vigilant however, as did Haldir and Gilian, both of whom walked by the warrior's side.

"You legend has precedes you, Varonwe," Haldir said admiringly as his sapphire eyes scanned the horizon for any sign of danger. "Even our lady speaks of you with great favor, and she has not yet met you."

"In the flesh, no," Gerithor replied. "But she has spoken to me in my dreams I think." He could not be sure that it was she that had spoken to him, but it seemed as though she were the only being of good that had the power to do so.

"Ah, yes, the gift of foresight," Haldir nodded. "Few still possess that lost art. What did my lady tell you in your visions?"

"Dark things," Gerithor replied hesitantly, as if reluctant to speak of them. "She spoke of loss, and grief... But I have seen another in my visions as well. A great elven warrior, perhaps from a time long past. It is he that has told me most clearly how to progress."

Haldir's eyebrows furrowed together, as if he were remembering something. "The Lady spoke of such a person... Perhaps it is best if you discuss your visions with her. I am merely a Marchwarden, and not well versed in lore or visions."

"Perhaps, though I am not sure that even she could help me. Many of my visions have turned dark of late, as if they are being intruded upon by an outside force. A servant of the Enemy, perhaps."

Haldir's expression grew suddenly dark, and his stance changed to one of watchfulness. "The answer to that riddle lies within Mirkwood. But it is not safe to discuss here, for the eyes of the Enemy are everywhere."

Suddenly a bow twanged from beside Gerithor, and he swiftly turned to see Gilian loose an arrow into the sky. A large black bird fell from the air, its feathers falling with it like rain. The younger ranger ran to the body of the bird and crouched beside it.

"Captain, come here!" She exclaimed. Gerithor and Haldir quickly ran to her side and looked down at the bird. It was a raven, a very large one. Attached to one leg was a white piece of paper.

"Well done Gilian," Gerithor said approvingly as he gave her a pat on her shoulder. She handed him the paper and he carefully unfolded it.

"It's in the common tongue," Gerithor said, a hint of surprise in his voice. "I suppose they did not expect us to intercept it so easily."

"Indeed, your ranger has good eyes," Haldir nodded. Gerithor gave Gilian a wry smile, which she returned.

"What does it say?" Gilian asked curiously.

"It's a poem of sorts," Gerithor said. "Strange...

Over mountains tall went he,

Not under, as did we,

To land of golden pillars,

Where dwell the orken killers,

Under leaves of grey we wait

Watching the elkhorn gate."

"We're being tracked," Caledorn suddenly said as he appeared behind Haldir. "It's excellent prose for an orc, but it's easy enough to interpret. The 'he' is you of course. It seems that 'we' must be the spies, and they took some sort of passage below the mountains. The 'land of golden pillars' is clearly Lothlorien, and 'orken killers' are the elves. The last part eludes me though. Elkhorn Gate is in Eriador, as you well know. So it seems odd that they would be watching that. They must be speaking of something else, perhaps a code word of some sort."