Chapter 34: An Unlikely Bond

"Heave!" A stocky dwarf shouted as a group of about a dozen dwarves pulled on a thick rope. The gate rose slowly, a cloud of dust rising from the ground where it had fallen days before. The dwarves grunted and groaned with the effort, their muscled arms rippling as they pulled with all their might.

Kalan watched and gave a satisfied nod when the gate rose into place. The damage that had been inflicted on the mountain was severe, but not entirely beyond repair. Soon, Kalan hoped, the mountain would be returned to its former glory. For now though, it was enough that it was able to withstand another siege. They had to be prepared... Because while Kalan hoped his friends would succeed in the south, if they did not the enemy would be at the gates once more... And this time, no help would come.

With a heavy-hearted sigh he hurried through the gates and into the mountain. He had been put in charge of the rebuilding of the mountain by Thorin Stonehelm, a young and brash dwarf from the Iron Hills who was the late King Dain's son and was soon to sit on the throne of Erebor. Thorin had been told of Kalan's importance in the battle and had immediately sought his assistance; A fact that Kalan was beginning to rue.

It wasn't that he didn't want to help. It was more the fact that a great deal of authority had been given to him, and most certainly had not wanted that.

"Kalan!" A nervous looking dwarf exclaimed as he trotted over. "We need more stone in the west hall! Some mighty rough damage was done to it. The right corner caved in and there's not enough rock to fill it in."

Kalan pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes in exasperation. "Go talk to head-mason Bror about it. He'll get ya what ya need."

The dwarf nodded gratefully and ran off, presumably to do what Kalan had suggested.

A silence had pervaded the mountain ever since the battle. Dwarves usually sang or talked with one another when they worked, but their losses had been so great that most of them were still in mourning. None had escaped the battle without losing someone close to them... not even Kalan. His heart still hurt when he thought about Caledorn. Though the elf had always been cold and distant, Kalan had always thought of him as a friend. After all of their adventures together, it was difficult not to.

"For what it's worth, I think you're doing an excellent job leading the repair efforts," Edhael stated with a kind smile as he nodded to Kalan from his spot atop a pile of rubble. "How are you faring?"

"Ach, I'm doin' alright lad! Lots of work to keep me busy!" He exclaimed, forcing a smile as he subtly wiped a tear from his eye. Thinking of Caledorn had made him even more sorrowful than he had thought.

"Aye, that there is," Edhael replied, strumming his lute absentmindedly. "I should think that the elves would be more than happy to assist with the repairs when they return!"

Kalan chuckled at that. "You tree-squirrels still hate us. Besides, your own kingdom will need repairin' of its own, I reckon."

"You sell yourself short, my friend! Not to make a pun," Edhael cleared his throat awkwardly. "I'd say it would be of mutual interest for our people to work together in this case. After all, who can make gates as fine as the dwarves? And who could enchant them as well as the elves? No, my friend, I am certain I could convince King Thranduil to cut a deal with your new leader."

Kalan tugged at his beard thoughtfully. "Might be worth a shot! I'll see what that little firebrand Thorin thinks!"

"You do that!" Edhael laughed lightly. "Oh, and before I forget!" He pulled a small lute from behind his back. "I made you this. A sort of token of our friendship! Though I don't doubt we shall see much of each other in the coming years."