Chapter 37: New Beginnings

Year Two of the Fourth Era, Minas Tirith

Kalan stood with Gerithor, Gilian, and King Elessar at the gates of Minas Tirith, watching the sun rise slowly in the east with a wistful stare. 

"Well, the gates should be better now than they ever were," Kalan said with a halfhearted laugh, nodding to the newly reforged gates. "Lord Gimli should be by soon to work on the roads. A messenger came by last night." 

Elessar gave the dwarf a kind smile. "And what's next for Lord Kalan of Erebor?" 

"Ach, King Thorin needs me back at Erebor for some maintenance," he shrugged, tugging at his beard. "I set the lads to work when I was there last but there's been some hiccups! I have to do everything maself, it would seem!"

"Can't seem to get reliable help these days," Elessar replied with a wry wink. "If you run out of things to do up there, I'm sure Gimli will need all the help he can get here. He has grand plans for the city!" 

Kalan laughed. "Of course he does! He's always been a bit of an eccentric lad!" 

"Are you planning on stopping in Eryn Lasgalen on your way?" Gerithor asked. Mirkwood had been renamed now that it had been freed of the evil sorceress Zaskia's dark magic. The entire forest, it would seem, was healing. 

"Perhaps! I'm sure that old rascal Edhael would like a visit!" Kalan smirked. "I'm sure the minstrel's been locked up in his room ever since the coronation, trying to write that song he kept promising us!" 

They all laughed at the dwarf's words, and he couldn't help but picture the anomalous elf doing just that. Truth be told, he missed him. The two had become good friends after all they had been through, and things hadn't seemed quite the same since Edhael had returned to Eryn Lasgalen several months ago. 

"What about you two?" Kalan asked, giving Gerithor a devious wink. "Gonna settle down and half lots of fiery-haired babies?" 

Gilian blushed, and Gerithor laughed, pulling her closer and kissing her on the forehead. "Maybe some day. But the North is a broken land. It'll take quite a bit to restore it to its former glory." 

Elessar nodded seriously. "There are still orcs in the mountains, and the Breelands have issues of their own. But I think Gerithor's well cut out for being the Warden of Arnor. Nobody else knows the land like he does." 

Kalan grunted in approval. "Aye, you picked well! Gerithor's the best there is!" 

Gerithor smiled faintly. "You're welcome to visit any time, Kalan. Hopefully the roads will be safer than when we first met by then." 

Kalan smirked as he recalled that day over twenty years earlier. He had been waylaid on the road by orcs, and the then-young Gerithor and his companions had saved him. He hadn't known it then, but his life had changed completely after that day. 

"Eh, I'm an assassin, remember? I can take care of maself!" 

Gerithor chuckled. "As I recall, I didn't believe you then, either." 

Kalan scratched his head. "Can't blame me for tryin', though." 

There was a long silence that followed, as all of them knew what was to inevitably follow. They had spent the past year together, and all of them had grown even closer to each other in that time. Gerithor had helped Aragorn adjust to his new duties, from serving as an advisor to being a diplomat to other kingdoms on his cousin's behalf. Gilian had trained a new generation of rangers, who had all subsequently been sent to Ithilien under the command of Faramir, the new Prince of that land. Kalan had, of course, set about repairing Minas Tirith itself, and had coordinated with the other dwarven kingdoms to send a steady stream of stone and mithril to the city to repair the walls and construct the new gates.