Chapter 14: The Parting of the Company

The remaining members of the Company had decided to gather together at the gates, where they would all part to leave on their various quests. Edhael and Taliel stood together, once more in traveling garb and ready to depart for Mirkwood. Gerithor, Glorfindel, Gloin, and Kalan were at the head of those that remained in the Company. Some forty rangers still stood with them, as well as the Blue Mountain dwarves and a small force of Lorien elves. Celeborn spared all that he could, but said that the defense of Lorien itself was still his primary concern. 

Gerithor's eyes wandered to Gilian, who was busy offering words of encouragement to the other rangers. She had taken the role of captain naturally, and already had garnered respect from the other men. She was a born leader, and Gerithor felt assured that he had made the right choice in giving her that responsibility. 

She seemed to notice that he was watching her, and looked up momentarily before quickly turning away. Gerithor wondered if perhaps she was intimidated by him... Or maybe she was just shy. Either way, he hoped that they would get the chance to talk on the road. He liked to know those whom he commanded well, and he knew very little about her. 

"Lad!" Gerithor was shook from his thoughts by Kalan, who was literally shaking him by the arm. 

"Huh? What?" Gerithor asked, his attention back on Kalan. 

"Did you hear anythin' I just said?" He asked, crossing his arms and raising an eyebrow. 

"Uh, yes, about that..." Gerithor ran a hand through his hair, trying desperately to recall what the dwarf had been saying. 

Kalan rolled his eyes and grinned. "I saw ya. She's a pretty lass, ain't she?" 

Gerithor's eyebrows furrowed and he frowned disapprovingly. "Who?" 

Kalan pointed at Gilian, and gave Gerithor a wry wink. "Her! I saw ya watchin' her with those big grey eyes of yours. Don't pretend ya weren't." 

Gerithor shoved Kalan lightly, causing the dwarf to laugh. "I was just thinking that she is doing a good job leading is all." Gerithor felt strangely uncomfortable discussing the subject with his friend, especially since Kalan wasn't even slightly subtle about what he thought of the matter.

"Go talk to her, boy! Ya both need a friend if nothin' else!" Kalan thumped the ranger on the back before turning slightly serious. "She always sits alone, away from the others. I don't think she has many friends." 

Gerithor pursed his lips together and scratched his beard thoughtfully. "Well, I suppose it wouldn't hurt. It's good to know your soldiers." 

"Ha, that's the spirit lad!" Kalan's eyes twinkled mischievously, and Gerithor knew exactly what the dwarf was up to. He let out a sigh and attempted to change the topic. 

"What exactly were you talking about prior to this?" 

Kalan waved his hand dismissively. "I was just sayin' how it's just like the old days again. Me, you, the open road! Plenty of orc heads to bash together!"

"Aye, only this time all of Middle Earth is at stake," Gerithor replied, his voice more grim than he had intended. Kalan grew serious as well, and the two stood in silence as they thought of all they had been through together. 

They were interrupted from their thoughts by the arrival of Galadriel and Elrond, who were there to see them off. Elrond looked like a great elven general of old, his golden armor shining in the rising sun. Galadriel appeared queenly, though contained, as if she was holding in immeasurable power. Celeborn was not present, for he was orchestrating the city's defense. 

"Today you depart my lands, and so you shall pass from light into the greater world, which is being consumed by darkness. But do not lose heart. For the might of the Valar is with you. Go forth, and you shall be known of in legend, defenders of Middle Earth." Galadriel raised both hands in farewell, and Elrond gave the entire company a respectful bow.